Find
Notify
Tools

A doggone ghost story
 Login/Join 
Picture of \Doug/
AIM: Online Status For dougdeg2
posted
A few years ago, on the last day of October, an event occurred that forever changed the way Draco thought about ghosts. Before that night Draco had always considered the stories of ghost and spirits as just tall tales told by the superstitious humans that live near the dragons’ glade. As the story unfolds you too will come to think of ghosts in a new way.

Draco smiled as he thought about all the candy and trick-or-treaters he would get to eat that night. He could almost taste them now - little princesses and clowns, so tender and with that extra pocket of sweetness – yum! This was shaping up to be an especially good night as the moon was new and the clouds were thick and low, so the darkness would give him an advantage during his hunt. Not that he needed much of an advantage as these walking hors d’oeuvres never seemed to move very fast.

When the last glow of sunset had faded away, Draco set out to look for his evening snack – his tapas – his dim sum. He circled the glade twice looking for other dragons that might want to join him, but seeing none flew on to the nearby human village. He landed on the edge of the forest a few hundred meters from the closest home and settled in to wait for the activities to begin.

Draco had not been there long when he saw a very strange sight. It looked like a large dog, wrapped in chains and it was transparent! Now Draco has never been afraid of anything so he waited calmly as the thing drifted closer and closer. When it was about 2 meters away it stopped and emitted a low mournful howl that actually gave Draco a chill.

“What are you?” Draco asked.
“I am the ghost of dinners past.” came the reply.
“The ghost of dinners past? What does that mean?”
“You had me for dinner one Valentine’s day and now I walk the earth in this ghostly form.”
“Fluffy? Is that you? Why are you still walking the earth? And why are you wearing those chains?”
“Yes, it is me. I walk the earth to pay for the sins of my mistress and these chains are made from the fibs she told and they become longer each time she tells another. The stories are about you and your kind, you know. I don’t understand why she keeps doing it. Maybe she doesn’t know the torture she is putting me through.”
“About me, you say? What kind of fibs does she tell?”
“She invents dragons and gives them strange afflictions, she even tell stories of you being tied up by a dog !”
“A DOG! Now that is funny. She must be very disturbed to make up stories like that. I think you are lucky I had you for dinner – she might have become violent and hurt you! Of course, I guess as long as she tells these fibs she IS hurting you. Who is – was – your mistress?”
“She goes by many names, but most often it is the pseudonym Aire. She thinks it’s cute because she keeps Airedales, such as me, as pets! She is always telling people how wonderful and smart we are, but look what she is doing to me!”
“Fluffy, I will do what I can to find this… Aire person and when I do I will put a stop to the fibs so you can find some peace.” I promises and you know a dragon never breaks a promises.”
“Oh, Draco – we could have been soooo happy!”
“Fluffy, you did have good taste.”

So Draco said goodbye to the Fluffy ghost, decided to forgo the hors d’oeuvres this night and began a search for the wicked person that was causing so much sadness for his old dinner … er … companion …dinner companion. And he will search to the end of time because
he meant what he said and he said what he meant a dragon is truthful one hundred per cent! *

* Apologies to Horton and Dr. Seuss

[This message was edited by \Doug/ on 10-25-02 at 02:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by \Doug/ on 10-25-02 at 02:27 PM.]

Posts: 497 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: 06-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of surgeon50
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
Draco, I for one hope you find that Aire two-legged gal after a long hunt and do what is right. Did you know she took a dog to obedience school? big grin Of all the silly things. Did you know that particular two-legger refers to a nobly bred dog as a dawg from Hell? O my, oh my. Get her good but she might be a bit salty for your tastes and not very sweet at all. Thanks for helping out us ghostly horizontals,

Wolfhound from Kos

I can trace my lineage back to King Lear's fool, so it is genetic.
Nick

[This message was edited by surgeon50 on 10-25-02 at 05:41 PM.]

Posts: 1323 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09-25-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grneyes3737
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
With tails of mystical spectres,that haunt even the less daunted on their warming rocks.

We shall see what doggerel verse shall come to haunt thee. wink

We are all captives of the picture in our head -- our belief that the world we have experienced is the world that really exists.~Walter Lippman

Posts: 1076 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 06-23-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mystchief Maker
posted Hide Post
Hey \Doug/!

I've heard much about Draco but haven't had the pleasure of searching him out yet. I must say, he has more than his fair share of integrity! I guess surgeon50 is right about not believing what those "Dawg" people say! eek big grin

Oh, there's nothing like a good ghost story to send me into shivers and to add an imfamous dragon into the mix, you've got me addicted! smile

Being the greedy person I am, I want more! More! MORE! I guess I'll have to go in search of Draco!

Thanks so much for the tantalizing tidbit! MM

PS If I were you, I'd hide out in the dog house!

"Is that my soul that calls my name?" Willy Wonka

Posts: 241 | Location: Constant State of Confusion | Registered: 09-25-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Harv
posted Hide Post
I guess Aire better watch out. big grin

Hehhee. Great story. But I guess it's not a dog gone story, cuz the dog in question isn't GONE! lol. big grin

Harv cool

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow
-Langston Hughes, Dreams

click here!

Posts: 4507 | Location: Earth, Milky Way | Registered: 11-29-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of rhon831
posted Hide Post
Apologies to Horton? Did you forget to apologize to Messrs. Dickens and Scrooge, too?

Sounds to me like someone is dogmeat! When the barking and growling and bloodletting is over, it will be interesting to see who is still standing. (I'm covering my bets on all sides!)

-----
What's done can not be undone.
Lady MacB

Posts: 4723 | Registered: 01-30-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A few hours ago, on the 25th day of October, an event occurred that forever changed the way Limn thought about Draco. Before that night Limn had always considered the stories of dragons and spirits as just tall tales told by the superstitious humans that live "out there" in cyber space. As the story unfolded, Limn came to think of Draco in a new way.... because he meant what he said and he said what he meant a dragon is truthful one hundred per cent! *"

* Apologies to Horton and Dr. Seuss...and \Doug/

The plot is steaming, about to boil. Limn settles down, waiting to see what good, future yummies await her voracious appetite for the current Draco escapades. She has waited long...and patiently...and has not been disappointed. (She just kinda hopes, however, that Aire doesn't go "all gone" in the ensuing fray.) eek big grin

And as our esteemed \Doug/ is wont to say: BRAVO!!!!

Limn

Posts: 665 | Registered: 10-29-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of $anya
posted Hide Post
Aha!! Draco returnz, eh? big grin big grin A very well-written piece, doug, as usual... hmm, you make me wonder where my poor digested dinner remains would be now.. hovering around me, ready to pounce, perhaps?! roll eyes There, you've gone and done it!! I won't sleep for ages now..
big grin big grin
Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

--------Sanya----------

Smilez apart!

“Do what you think and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”-Richard Bach

The moving finger writes
And having writ, moves on
Not all thy piety nor wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line
Nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: 04-12-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
She's bound to be skulking around somewhere. I'm thinking Draco should watch his back! You just can't trust these dawg keepin' types.

At least she kept old Draco from eating those "horse ovaries" thingys. I think he should stick to dawgs and dwarf ale.

You simply must keep us apprised of any new events which take place in this sordid tale - I'll be waiting with baited breath! (No Aire, not dawg breath!)

Ron
------------------------------
CHAOS, MAYHEM, PANIC IN THE STREETS! - My work here is done.

Posts: 11879 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of lost butterfly
posted Hide Post
Whew! I'm glad Draco's appetite tends toward the canine variety...he'd better stay away from my wonder horse, Magical Blue...actually, I think he'd kinda have the hots for her if he met her...and NO, not by toasting her like a weinie with his breath!!

Ahhh so nice to kick back and read a humorous enjoyable story here on QL! Thanks /Doug\!!

"There is no disguise which can hide love for long where it exists, or simulate it where it does not" La Rochefoucauld

Posts: 2660 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 06-30-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of surgeon50
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
Draco, Draco, Draco, I saw her. That two legger name of Air. The one that sends her dawg to school to learn to obey HER. She has a bad cold and has been taking her home remedy. Careful, the fumes in the room are kind of strong from the sidecars, you might breathe on her and turn her into a cinder. And the other smells, mentholatum ugh. I will tell you where she sleeps. All I ask of you is to tell me if you see the visage of the little girl from Kos who the wolves stole.

Is it a deal?

Wolfhound from Kos.

I can trace my lineage back to King Lear's fool, so it is genetic.
Nick

Posts: 1323 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09-25-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of \Doug/
posted Hide Post
Nick,

It's a deal. Keep me posted. Although I have the feeling that it is less a cold that it is FEAR!! :-) But give the poor wench the benefit of doubt....sniff, sniff.

Posts: 497 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: 06-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
posted Hide Post
News Flash!

The DBS and DNN are in full propaganda mode. STOP. New York Stock exchange reports their shares slipped 33% and 25% respectively. STOP. In an effort to slow the bloodbath (figurative in this case), both networks have mounted an all out assault against dragon nemesis ScheAIREazade to increase slumping circulations. STOP. "ScheAIREazade", the most feared and respected journalist name amongst dragons -- especially the Draco, White Fang, and Ivory Fang clans -- excites the imaginations of rabbits, elves, leprechauns, German Shepherds, Airedales, Wolfhounds and dragons across Europe; media sales soar as a result. STOP. DBN and DNN's blatant grab for sensationalism is most readily seen in their notorious inflation of Draco's conquest image. STOP. In an effort to resuscitate DBS's and DNN's falling daily sales, they secretly paid for Draco's recent Mediterranean voyage to Italy. STOP. New Draco exploits abroad unfortunately did not revive flagging sales. STOP. Media Mogul Viperbreath refuses to confirm the unidentifed source for "A Doggone Ghost Story" but does acknowledge DBS's and DNN's freefall has slowed considerably. STOP. He acknowledged, "The networks may see a profit by year's end, should leaks from our anti-Airedale source continue." STOP. We at the True Broadcasting Network will continue to expose our competitors' draconian efforts to slander our most prized journalist; "We report, you decide." STOP.

~ posting from the outback of Brittania, this is ScheAIREazade,
(nursing a cold but ever vigilant against Dragongate coverups).

[This message was edited by Airedale on 10-28-02 at 10:42 AM.]

Posts: 2183 | Location: Aslan's Narnia | Registered: 11-10-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of \Doug/
posted Hide Post
I have just read the so called "News Flash" to Draco. His first reply was a 50' fireball. Then he said, and I quote: “ScheAIREazade is not a reporter, she is a dog. STOP.
I believe that she is on drugs disguised as 'cold pills'. STOP.
The dog has become pathological liar. STOP. I wish she would STOP."

The word here in the glade is that there may be some sort of action taken if the “dog” continues to slander the dragon clan members. I heard at least one dragon mention a ‘real’ roast and another saying something that sounded like “spade”…not sure, it was quite noisy and I may not have heard it correctly, but the group had a good laugh about it. They believe that there is so much time being spent on defending the clan from these attacks that there is no time to continue with the ‘Dragon Histories’ or even the short narratives that dragons love to share.
The clan has asked me to remind everyone that the ONLY true dragon clan stories come through me (as I am the official dragon spokesperson) and that any other ‘report’ from a ‘reporter’, real or deluded, is ipso facto a lie.
On a personal note, I feel sorry for the poor dog. She had some real talent, but has let this fixation with bringing down the dragon clan, destroy her mind. I hope she gets the help she needs to get off the drugs and to get back to being a respected contributor. It is so sad when good dogs go bad. -30-

Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
Just perusing some works from back in the day when this site rocked like few others on the web did. Came across this one from my old friend, now passed, and it made me laugh again...like \Doug/ and his dragon usually did.

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
~Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

Posts: 11879 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of lost butterfly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this back for us to reminisce over. Those WERE the days, ron! How I do miss them! I was glad I got to meet Doug for a brief half hour when he came to MA from CA on a family trip to visit relatives. He was gone not too long after. :-(

Posts: 2660 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 06-30-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BYE SPAM.-Aeras

Carol Adams

Posts: 1 | Location: London | Registered: 07-07-17Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the vigilance Ron, the Spam has been eradicated : ). -Aeras

Ron