Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion    Characteristics of Good Group Discussion

Moderators: Ananya, Fair_GwenofAir
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Characteristics of Good Group Discussion
 Login/Join 
Picture of eagleandchild
posted
I wanted to post something to start a discussion on the characteristics of good group dynamics and discussion. What is the good, bad, and ugly of group interaction? How can we make this a place where there is equal contribution from as many people has we can?

For instances we can talk about things like:

Listening
Not being a “conversation hog."
Letting others contribute
Normalize failure but enforce consequences for repeatedly ignoring the rules
Good leadership that maintains rules without being overbearing.
Wishing the best for people
Leaders preventing people from taking over the discussion and taking the fun out of the group
Etc.

Here are some websites listing tips for good group interaction. I am sure there is more.

Group Dynamics
http://wilderdom.com/Group.html

Tips for good small group communication
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/k/kiddv/coptalk/pages/comtips/comtips2.htm

-----------------------------
"In all of our hearts lies a longing for a Sacred Romance. It will not go away in spite of our efforts over the years to anesthetize or ignore its song, or attach it to a single person or endeavor." Brent Curtis

Posts: 665 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 11-12-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Erlinda
posted Hide Post
I think some of those rules work well for Group Therapy and other forms of discussion when people are in the same room. I don't think they would facilitate cyberspace discussions. I think the rules set forth for "Forum Discussion" are pretty good, reasonable,and easy to follow.

"Omigod!!!I am so much older than everyone here!" Erm...

Posts: 1317 | Location: Suspended, In My Head | Registered: 08-05-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4thedreamgiver
posted Hide Post
Remembering that some people have much better computer skills than others would also be beneficial. Patience is always helpful, some people simply take longer to get the hang of things.

God sometimes does His work with gentle drizzle, not storms. Drip, drip, drip. John Newton

Posts: 938 | Location: The best place in the world, home, where the heart is. | Registered: 07-23-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Aeras
posted Hide Post
This is a good idea Eagle but the thing about online discussions is that everyone contributes as they can or want. You can't really prevent someone from doing so unless they are banned from the site. What makes ugly conversations is when someone gets frustrated and feels people are against them. The proper action they should take is try to resolve it if they can or simply ignore the other person and the abberant behavior will be corrected by the mods or admins.

There have been alot of thoughts along these lines throughout my time here, many topics and so forth. What will really make the best community here is for everyone to be as respectful as they can (sometimes you do get irritated or feel insulted, thats unavoidable) and reply as they would like to be replied to, especially in the writing forums.

Overall you can't really regulate this besides setting basic rules, people are so unique its possible to "force create" a group dynamic. Often force is what destroys the dynamic from exisiting.

-Aeras

Posts: 2617 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 03-22-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eagleandchild
posted Hide Post
My ideas were from small groups that meet in person so maybe they do not apply here.

When I think about here I think that discussion here is like the family members that you cannot avoid, at family get togethers, that get in the way of good conversation with family members you like. You really enjoy the dialogue but can’t fully because of some. I know some might see me as that person and may put quotes around this sentence to make some comment that I am not qualified to talk about it.

Like in real life families, I feel bad when some family members make it hard, or impossible, to enjoy time together with the ones you like to talk with. I am sad that as a result they may be less likely to meet together again to talk.

I see some of the interaction here as dealing with family dynamics. You are right Aeras, the problems are unavoidable.

I know there are rules here.

-----------------------------
"In all of our hearts lies a longing for a Sacred Romance. It will not go away in spite of our efforts over the years to anesthetize or ignore its song, or attach it to a single person or endeavor." Brent Curtis

Posts: 665 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 11-12-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my family we have only one of what I call the wicked witch of the north, south, east, and west. On any forum, unfortunately, there tend to be several. I am learning day by day how to be a more positive contributor, practice makes better, never perfect.

God sometimes does His work with gentle drizzle, not storms. Drip, drip, drip. John Newton
... how dull it would be to be like the rest. Ralph Hill

Posts: 938 | Location: The best place in the world, home, where the heart is. | Registered: 07-23-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of EmeraldEyes
posted Hide Post
I'm quite ok with a bit of agro and really, it is even a bit of a turn on, but I think it's really important to resist the urge for revenge posts, cliquey vendettas and 'payback' posts.

Keep the argy bargy confined to the topic at hand and either ignore, or 'friendly up' in other conversations on the board.

That's my input.

Posts: 3766 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 07-26-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of KnockOut
posted Hide Post
I think a group hug is important before and after any discussion.

"Nunc Scio Quit Sit Amor" Smile
But it's still not premarital sex
if you don't plan on getting married Wink

Posts: 4920 | Location: Siam | Registered: 10-21-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Topgun
posted Hide Post
Sure thing KnockOut, lets hug everyone... haha

"If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me - but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way." -Roger Ebert

Posts: 622 | Location: Tionesta Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 09-22-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Neo-Geezer
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Phantom_Delta
posted Hide Post
I think that a topic on personal hygiene would be a good topic for group discussion.

1) How often to you take a shower or a bath?
(I take a bath once each week wheather I need it or not.)

2) What parts of your body do you enjoy soaping up the most? (The parts that are the hairiest.)

3) How many times a day do you brush your teeth? (twicet)

4) What aspect of personal hygene do you tend to neglect? (I forget to wash behind my ears.)

5) What is the longest that you have ever gone without taking a bath? (Twenty-one days)

6) Has anyone ever told you that you stink or have bad breath? (Yes)

7) Do you ever clean your fingernails in public?( Almost everyday)

8) How often do you get your hair cut or treated?(I get my hair cut every third payday.)

9) Do you shave the hair in your armpits?
(I did once and itched so bad that I said that I would never do it again.)

10) What do you do to get all the wax out of your ears?
(I have my ears treated with hydrogen pyroxide once each week.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phantom_Delta,

Posts: 3480 | Location: The Volunteer State | Registered: 06-25-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Ananya
posted Hide Post
For my part I'd say that it's good if you know the art of storytelling. I've experienced that when you have stories to tell, people instantly become listeners around you.

In the tale, in the telling, we are all one blood. Take the tale in your teeth, then, and bite till the blood runs, hoping it’s not poison; and we will all come to the end together, and even to the beginning: living, as we do, in the middle.
-- Ursula K. LeGuin

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

Scatter joy ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson.
~*Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make your's burn any brighter.*~
We can't all be stars, but we can all twinkle.
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Posts: 6242 | Location: India | Registered: 07-03-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being willing to listen and receive instruction is one way to have better discussion. I did not realize there was a 15 letter character limit when I chose my user name "all4thedreamgiver". One of the moderaters on another user group made a nasty remark about it being too long and I ignored him. Then, Airedale kindly requested that I comply with that rule and presto, I shortened it to "thedreamgiver". Tact is never out of place.

"Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad, is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back."

Quoteland Neo-Geezer
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Phantom_Delta
posted Hide Post
A good subject for group discussion should be a subject that we ALL have in common such as bowel movements. Is there anyone among us that does not have them? We could discuss things like what was the longest bowel movment that you ever had? Do you ever experience irregularity when you go on a trip? What is the longest period that you have ever been constipated? Such questions are not difficult to ponder and not too difficult to discuss.

Posts: 3480 | Location: The Volunteer State | Registered: 06-25-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post