Notify
Tools

Yellow Trivia
 Login/Join 
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Alice
posted
Found this and could not resist posting it for our resident Yellow freak

The world yellow has been a part of the English language since about 900 A.D., coming from closely related words in Latin and various Germanic languages. It is derived from the Anglo-Saxon geolw- and the German gelb meaning yellow and "geld" or "gold". Yellow was also the color of the medieval fool. For Shakespeare, yellow was the color of love. The Greek chloros idea of yellow indicated lust and medieval German streetwalkers even wore yellow.

Geolw- slowly developed into the Old English geolu and Middle English yelwa. The Indo-European root ghel stood for “to shine”, especially in reference to bright materials such as yellow metals. The old Norse term gulr gave us ”gull” which survives in Middle Dutch as gulden (golden) and in the monetary unit, the Guilder.

Yellow is the hue of that portion of the visible spectrum lying between orange and green. It is one of the month’s colors in February (along with light blue), April (along with red), May (along with red), and October (along with white). Over time, yellow has meant many things to various cultures, mourning in Egypt, courage in Japan, hazard and warning in many countries, friendship (as in giving yellow roses), and peace, hope, remembrance, and support (as in hanging yellow ribbons).

More "Yellow" stuff

She wore a Yellow Ribbon 1949 film starring John Wayne, Joanne Dru and Ben Johnson.
You’ll wonder where yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent 1950 Pepsodent jingle.
Yellow Brick Road from the film the Wizard of Oz
Yellow Pages Classified telephone directory.
Yellow Journalism Term for inflammatory, irresponsible reporting by newspapers
Yellow Tail Marine game fish of Southern California and Mexico
Yellowstone First national park in the U.S.
Old Yeller 1957 Disney film about a boy and his dog.
The Yellow Kid 1896 it’s considered the first comic strip type cartoon.
Yellow Jackets Small variety of wasps
Yellow Submarine 1968 Beatles’ film based on a song by the same name
Tie a Yellow Ribbon ‘round the Old Oak Tree 1973 hit by tony Orlando and Dawn
Yellow Jack or Yellow Fever Infectious tropical disease caused by certain mosquitoes.

"Do all things with love."
Og Mandino

Posts: 4747 | Location: The Official "Surf City, USA" | Registered: 10-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Viktoria
posted Hide Post
I half-remember an interesting bit of trivia from, I think, Johan Huizinga's The Waning of the Middle Ages. He writes about the symbolism of color and dress in, I think, 15th century Europe, where it was insulting to others to wear yellow. The example was a group on a diplomatic mission, apparently to put some king in his place. They wore yellow to court, and, said Huizinga's source, "they meant it for the King."

If anyone can confirm or correct this, I'd appreciate it, but even in its current unreliable form, I find it intriguing.

Seashell ebb music wayriver she flows. --James Joyce

Posts: 1604 | Location: Schlaraffenland | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Genevieve
posted Hide Post
Some YELLOW Facts:

Malaysia has one of the most unusual constitutional monarchies in the world. The country's nine sultans (a hereditary title) select from among themselves a supreme ruler who reigns as monarch for a five-year term. One of the monarch's prerogatives is the exclusive right to wear the royal color - yellow - at official functions. Attending such a function wearing a yellow tie would be an affront to the sultan.

http://www.getcustoms.com/2004GTC/Articles/new001.html

Xanthophobia: Fear of the Color Yellow, and Fear of the Word Yellow

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/problem_detail_VIP.asp?phobiaID=1924&SDID=4834

YELLOW is the third color of the spectrum. This color belongs to the planet Mercury. Mercury instills a quick intellect by stimulating the nervous system, To be quick-witted the nerves should be in an active condition throughout the body: so nothing can remain stagnant under the influence of this planet. Yellow is the color associated with the 3rd chakra. Wisdom is said to be conferred by Mercury and its color yellow. Buddha always dressed his priest in Yellow. This color has stood for wisdom and intellect throughout the ages.Yellow lamps or glass windows stimulate the nerves of the brain and the body. They should not be used by highly nervous subjects. Yellow predominates in all herbs which are purgatives or nerve-stimulants, such as senna , sulfur, fig juice, tartar, castor oil.

Yellow is third color in the spectrum. It corresponds to the musical note of E. Its jewel is the yellow Topaz and it represents luminosity. When seen in the human aura yellow if dark and crude, tells of deceit and cowardice {hence the term {yellow streak.!} but if pale and luminous it shows high wisdom and intellectuality.

http://www.sfheart.com/color.html

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you."
~William Arthur Ward

Posts: 1914 | Location: New England | Registered: 11-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post