Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  I Need a Quote!    Cheer a cancer patient up with funny stuff

Moderators: Mrs. Micawber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheer a cancer patient up with funny stuff
 Login/Join

Picture of Monkey
posted
Hi my Best Friends Mom has Cancer in her lungs and she has been going threw kemo ! .. Her hair was falling out soo she just had to shave it all off and now she is really sick from the treatment.

I just want stuff good words and qoutes and stories to give to her to read and cheer her up !! ... she has 4 daughters if thats help to get related stuff !! please reply a.s.a.p i want her to laugh as soon as possible

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10-29-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sir Lancelot
posted Hide Post
Hi !

My mom got over with her chemo just a few weeks ago and I can totally understand the predicament. I don't know how strong the medicines being given to your friend's mother are , but it's very important that she takes a high protein diet during the treatment. The medicine is used to destroy all cancer cels but a lot of the healthy cells are also destroyed in the process. A high protein diet will ensure a quick regeneration. She must include lots of milk, cheese/ cottage cheese and soy in her daily diet.
The patient must also have a very positive attitude `coz that will not only help her cope better but will also determine the effectiveness of the medicine. Keep her cheerful. Encourage her to participate in things that give her pleasure. But when she feels tired allow her to rest. If she has a job it is advisable to continue with it (if she feels she has the strength) `coz wheli at work, the patient's mind will be offthe illness and treatment. My mom heads a school and she had particularly hectic days during the chemo session. She wud return late and exhausted but the said that while she was in school for those 7-8 hrs. she didn't feel any sickness or exhaustion. When she returned home we gave her coconut water to drink and something to eat. After that she slept for a good 4-5 hrs. in the evening and again at night.
Read everything you can on cancer and its treatment so that both you and the patient are well aware. That by itself will give you courage and hope.
I have just found the following site. It seems interesting though I haven't tried it out:
http://www.chemoangels.com/

It is a volunteer organization that matches volunteer "Angels" to cancer patients, no matter what type of treatment they are choosing -- the "Angels" then send their special friend encouraging cards and gifts on a weekly basis to help to cheer them up and give them and their families additional support.

Posts: 59 | Location: India | Registered: 09-10-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sir Lancelot
posted Hide Post
It might be of help to know of a real life incident. Amartya Sen, the Nobel laureate , had mouth cancer when he was only 18. At that time there wasn't any proper method of treatment in India but a surgery was conducted nevertheless. He is 69 and keeping well.

During chemo, you're more tired than you've ever been. It's like a cloud passing over the sun, and suddenly you're out. You don't know how you'll answer the door when your groceries are delivered.
But you also find that you're stronger than you've ever been. You're clear. Your mortality is at optimal distance, not up so close that it obscures everything else, but close enough to give you depth perception. Previously, it has taken you weeks, months, or years to discover the meaning of an experience. Now it's instantaneous.

Melissa Bank, American author. "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing"

One must not forget that recovery is brought about not by the physician, but by the sick man himself. He heals himself, by his own power, exactly as he walks by means of his own power, or eats, or thinks, breathes or sleeps.
Georg Groddeck (1866-1934), German psychoanalyst. The Book of the It, Letter 32 (1923).

Today I live in the quiet, joyous expectation of good.
~Ernest Holmen~

To me, faith is not just a noun but also a verb.
~Jimmy Carter~

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.
~Helen Keller~

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in this life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from.
~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross~

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
~~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.~~

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
~~Anne Bradstreet~~

The strongest oak of the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It's the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for its existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun.
~~Napoleon Hill~~

Hope your friend's mother gets well very soon. I wish her all the best !!

I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a
has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are.

Posts: 59 | Location: India | Registered: 09-10-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post