Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  I Need a Quote!    Bond between mother and son

Moderators: Mrs. Micawber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bond between mother and son
 Login/Join

Picture of bellaangel15
posted
Does anyone have any qoutes on the bond between a monther and son? Something to show how precious the relationship is and how neither should let anything come between them.
Thanks so much!

**i** Bellaangel15

Posts: 40 | Location: USA | Registered: 09-22-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope at least some of these are helpful. I was surprised at the lack of quotations that deal directly with the mother/son bonds.

To a mother, a son is never a fully grown man; and a son is never a fully grown man until he understands and accepts this about his mother.
- Unknown

My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier you'll be a general; if you become a monk you'll end up as the pope." Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.
- Pablo Picasso

You' re not famous until my mother has heard of you. --Jay Leno

In cultures where there is no feminine deity, there is no mention of the idea that the mother who carries the child is herself being carried through pregnancy and labor by the spirit of the Great Mother. In such cultures, the human mother gets burdened with the expectation that she should "do it all," and she gets blamed when it "all goes wrong." Mother and son can remain connected throughout their lives by these huge expectations and their mutual disappointments, which act like a second umbilical cord to hold them together.

Michael Meade on the Initiation and Tempering of Men

The mother-child relationship is paradoxical and, in a sense, tragic. It requires the most intense love on the mother's side, yet this very love must help the child grow away from the mother and to become fully independent.

Erich Fromm

To have a son in wartime is the worst curse that can befall a mother, no matter what anyone says. ~ Slavenka Drakulic

A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb

All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his. ~Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895

But the mother's yearning, that completest type of the life in another life which is the essence of real human love, feels the presence of the cherished child even in the debased, degraded man. ~ George Eliot

For a mother the project of raising a boy is the most fulfilling project she can hope for. ~ She can watch him, as a child, play the games she was not allowed to play; she can invest in him her ideas, aspirations, ambitions, and values- or whatever she has left of them; she can watch her son, who came from her flesh and whose life was sustained by her work and devotion, embody her in the world. ~ So while the project of raising a boy is fraught with ambivalence and leads inevitably to bitterness, it is the only project that allows a woman to be--to be through her son, to live through her son. ~ Andrea Dworkin

He is a poor son whose sonship does not make him desire to serve all men's mothers. ~Harry Emerson Fosdick

When a woman is twenty, a child deforms her; when she is thirty, he preserves her; and when forty, he makes her young again. ~ L鯮 Blum

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. M. Kathleen Casey

Posts: 619 | Location: Caerleon | Registered: 06-08-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bellaangel15
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Galatea. Your posts are very helpful!
Best Wishes Rolling

**i** Bellaangel15

Posts: 40 | Location: USA | Registered: 09-22-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
A Mother And A Son
He looked into His mother’s eyes
and saw the tears she cried…
though Mary wanted to be strong,
her heart grew weak inside.
Jesus knew that life on earth
would never be the same…
and as He hung upon the cross
He saw His mother's pain.
Mary's heart cried out to God,
in anguish, she did plea…
Why does Jesus have to die,
I need my Son with me.
Mary wanted to believe
the best was yet to come…
but she could only see the harm
inflicted on her Son.
Yet, after Jesus died that day
and Mary said goodbye…
in 3 short days her precious Son
returned, no more to die.
It took a mother’s gracious heart
to have God’s will be done…
Mary gave the best she had,
She gave us Christ, her Son.
© Copyright 2000 Jill Lemming

"Mommy". Quite possibly the first word a little boy will say, the beginning of a lifelong conversation with his mother. In between childhood and adulthood many words will pass between a mother and a son, some in love, some in anger, some in sadness, and others in joy. Their bond will forever affect the way he'll view women. But it's in a mother's eyes that a son will remain forever young -- and forever cherished.
~ from a description of the book Mothers & Sons, A Celebration in Memoirs, Stories, and Photographs by Jill Morgan
http://www.pricefarmer.com/cgi-bin/farm?isbn=0451200098

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post