Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  I Need a Quote!    The Cabots and Lodges and Boston Snobbery

Moderators: Mrs. Micawber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cabots and Lodges and Boston Snobbery
 Login/Join

Picture of traceracer-X
posted
There is a quote that I'm unable to find about Boston blue-bloods and their inherant snobbery. It goes something like this (but I am unsure of the order of the names): "The Cabots speak only to the Lodges, and the Lodges speak only to God." Has anyone else heard this? Do I have it right, and who purportedly said it? Thank you!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07-22-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Apokryphos
posted Hide Post
Laurie Cabot(of the Cabots speak only to the Lodges and the Lodges speak only to God aka old, older, oldest monied Boston-brahmin lineage).
http://www.flufland.com/bwitch.htm

There are some in Boston audiences that say that the Cabots speak only to the Lodges and the Lodges speak only to the God.
http://www.fbcchattanooga.org/020602.htm

It is worse than that poem "The Cabots speak only to the Lodges and the Lodges speak only to God."
http://www.invisibleadjunct.com/archives/000058.html

"Boston, dear Boston, the land of the bean and the cod
Where the Cabots speak only to the Lodges,
and the Lodges speak only to God"
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~rosadove/DeeDoveyFamilyPage/gloucester8-02.htm

I believe though I do not comprehend, and I hold by faith what I cannot grasp with the mind.
-St. Bernard (1090-1153)- French Theologian and Reformer

Posts: 3321 | Location: London | Registered: 02-20-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Viktoria
posted Hide Post
My old Bartlett's gives it to John Collins Bossidy (1860-1928):
And this is good old Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod,
Where the Lowells talk to the Cabots
And the Cabots talk only to God.

--Toast, Holy Cross Alumni Dinner, 1910.

We must learn to love life without ever trusting it. G.K. Chesterton
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 1604 | Location: Schlaraffenland | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of traceracer-X
posted Hide Post
Thank you both! I ran "Cabots and Lodges" through the search engine of every quotation compendium on AOL, and I got nothing. Although, I see that it's the Cabots and Lowells in one of them... I appreciate the links, and I had no idea it came from a longer poem. I feel much better, this was driving me crazy. Wink

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07-22-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you have it right. I just googled it, watching 'Grey gardens' and your post was about the only reference to it. Funny, I'm from England. God knows where back in my childhood I heard it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12-13-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The quotation is from a toast given in 1910 at a Holy Cross alumni dinner: "Here's to dear old Boston, The home of the bean and the cod, Where Lowells speak only to Cabots, And Cabots speak only to God." The Lodges never got a look-in.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06-11-11Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 05-05-12Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viktoria:
My old Bartlett's gives it to John Collins Bossidy (1860-1928):
And this is good old Boston,
The home of the bean and the cod,
Where the Lowells talk to the Cabots
And the Cabots talk only to God.

--Toast, Holy Cross Alumni Dinner, 1910.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Getting lost, we ended up in the old part of Marblehead. This is the most unique town in America I've ever seen. On our way out we stopped by a Starbucks for a Frappicino. Not nearly as good as in Washington, D.C. But even though we moved to this area because of Washington D.C. being near, we are disgusted with the crime and the traffic is horrendous. Georgetown Medical University, where I go for medical care. While others feel Georgetown is a nice area to live, I don't have much admiration for it. Go to Marblehead if you want charm and old houses.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 05-05-12Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for your whited out spam link to be deleted, but since that doesn't seem to be happening I'll just go bump something and knock your post off the top of the pile.

Ron

Posts: 5638 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post