New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote for a paper
 Login/Join

Picture of Acrewts
posted
I am writing a research paper for AP European History on how a philosopher's opinion on human nature affected his/her philosophies. Are there any good quotes that I can integrate into either my introduction or conclusion?

Thanks.

Posts: 360 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 05-04-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
You should be able to work any of these into your piece:

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philospher.
Ambrose Bierce (1842-c.1914)
~Epigrams~

To a philosopher no circumstance, however trifling, is too minute.
Oliver Goldsmith (1728-74)
~The Citizen of the World~

Philosophers never balance between profit and honesty, because their decisions are general, and neither their passions nor imaginations are interested in the objects.
David Hume (1711-76)
~A Treatise of Human Nature~

The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it.
Karl Marx (1818-83)
~Theses on Feuerbach~

In the philosopher there is nothing whatever impersonal; and, above all, his morality bears decided and decisive testimony to who he is - that is to say, to the order of rank in which the innermost drives of his nature stand in relation to one another.
Freidrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844-1900)
~Jenseits von Gut und Bose~

For there was never yet philosopher
That could endure the toothache patiently.
Wiliam Shakespeare (1564-1616)
~Much Ado About Nothing, V:1~

The philosopher is Nature's pilot.
And there you have your difference;
to be in hell is to drift;
to be in heaven is to steer.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
~Man and Superman~

A philosopher of imposing stature doesn't think in a vacuum. Even his most abstract ideas are, to some extent, by what is or what is not known in the time when he lives.
A. N. Whitehead (1861-1947)
~Dialogues~

Axioms in philosophy are not axioms until they are proved upon our pulses; we read fine things but we never feel them to the full until we have gone the same steps as the author.
John Keats (1795-1821)
~Excerpt; letter to J. H. Reynolds, May 3, 1818~

I know the ones by Marx and Shakespeare are a bit of a stretch in regards to what you're after, but I included them anyways.

Hope there's something in here that helps.

Ron
------------------------------
CHAOS, MAYHEM, PANIC IN THE STREETS! - My work here is done.

Posts: 11843 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Acrewts
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, my introduction is much better now. It was rather lackluster beofre.

Posts: 360 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 05-04-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you know that Arthur Schopenhauer is considered the greatest philosopher and thinker from Germany of the 19th century. The founder of a completely new "rebellion" about human nature, the founder of irrationalism as such. It is in his works that a new view and influence of the new philosophy on mankind can be traced. Here is a quote: A man exists when he chooses himself - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02-27-18Reply With QuoteReport This Post