New
Find
Notify
Tools

sculptor quote
 Login/Join

<toleroad>
posted
How does the quote go that a sculptor said when asked how he could sculpt such a beautiful horse (or whatever it was that he was quoting)? It goes something like this: "I simply carve away anything that does not look like a horse." Can anyone give me the specific quote and who said it?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original is usually attributed to Michelangelo:

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."
Michelangelo (1475 - 1564) Italian painter, sculptor, architect, poet

He did a series of "Prigioni" (prisoners)--partially "rleased" figures in stone that now are displayed with David.

Others have built on this, as in:

"Writing is not like painting where you add. It is not what you put on the canvas that the reader sees. Writing is more like a sculpture where you remove, you eliminate in order to make the work visible. Even those pages you remove somehow remain."
Elie Wiesel (1928 - ____) Romanian-US novelist In "Writers at Work," ed. by George Plimpton, 1988.

Posts: 77 | Location: NYC | Registered: 05-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Someone asked a sculpture how he could take a big piece of marble and make it look like a horse. He said that you take your hammer and chisel and you knock off everything that does not look like a horse and when you are through what you have left looks like a horse.

A man who was seen chiseling a rock into a beautiful horse was asked, "How do you make a sculpture of a horse?" The artist responded, "I simply chisel away everything that doesn't look like a horse."

By the way, the carving part is easy if you just remove any foam that doesn't look like a horse.
http://www.dillonworks.com/portfolio/gallery/exteriors/pge_4.html

An artist can create a sculpture by addition or by subtraction. A sculptor was once asked how he could transform a solid block of marble into the life-size figure of a horse. He said, I simply chip away everything that doesn't look like a horse.

There's an old story about a famous sculptor (I forget who) who was asked, "How do you do a sculpture of a horse?" He replied, "Easy. Start with a big block of marble and take away everything that doesn't look like a horse."

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Entiendo
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Fair_GwenofAir
posted Hide Post
"I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need."
~ Auguste Rodin (1840 - 1917) French sculptor, when asked how he managed to make his remarkable statues

Have a fantastical day!

Posts: 5347 | Location: America. | Registered: 02-19-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grneyes3737
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post

Moonlight is sculpture
Nathaniel Hawthorne

I sent my soul through the Invisible,Some letter of that After-life to spell.And by and by my soul returned to me,And answered "I myself am Heav'n and Hell." Omar Khayyam

Posts: 1076 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 06-23-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post