New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bishop's Wife
 Login/Join

Picture of Sweet_Pea
posted
I am seeking a long quote from the '47 movie of "The Bishop's Wife". It's the sermon he gives at the end of the movie. If anyone can help me out, much appreciated! Especially if you can find it quick...

--------------
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

Posts: 26 | Location: the garden | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
The Bishop's Wife
I came to adulthood with the vague memory of a Christmas film that ended with the tale of an empty stocking told from a church pulpit. If the rise of cable television did anything positive, it was the return of this delightful, if slow-moving at times, fantasy film to the airwaves. The urbane Cary Grant is wonderful as the equally urbane angel Dudley, who can order meals in French and tell a Bible fable with equal aplomb, and Loretta Young is simply luminous as the bishop's wife, who sees her happy life dissolving in his obsession to build a cathedral. David Niven's Henry is so dour you wonder what spark the missus ever saw in him, but he's effective as the careworn curate torn between no donors and one supremely selfish one. Monty Wooley is an added plus as the cynical professor befriended by Dudley and there are some wonderful visual sequences as well. Oh, and that tale of the empty stocking...
http://www.flyingdreams.org/tv/gallery/holiday.htm
quote:
Tonight, I want to tell you the story of an empty stocking. Once upon a midnight clear there was a child's cry. A blazing star hung over a stable, and Wise Men came with birthday gifts.
We haven't forgotten that night down through the ages. We celebrate it with a star hung on a Christmas tree, and a cry of bells, and gifts; especially with gifts. We bind them and wrap them, and we put them under the tree. You give me a tie, I give you a book, Aunt Martha always wanted an orange squeezer, Uncle Harry could use a new pipe; oh, we haven't forgotten anyone, adult or child. All the stockings are filled, all that is, except one, and we have forgotten even to hang it up! The stocking for the child born in a manger. It's His birthday we are celebrating, you know. Don't let us ever forget that. Let us ask ourselves what He would wish for most, and then let each of us put in his share - loving kindness, warm hearts, and an out-stretched hand - all the shining gifts that make peace on earth.

Thus begins the sermon given by Bishop Brougham, as played by David Niven, in the closing scene of the 1947 Samuel Goldwyn production of The Bishop's Wife.
http://www.alliance4lifemin.org/categorized_articles/faith/childs_cry/childs_cry.htm

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Viktoria
posted Hide Post
TN, you did it again--and nobody does it better. Please allow me a small quibble--a curate is a beginner's position, a sort of assistant parish priest (they tend to show up in Victorian novels). The position of bishop is much grander.

Seashell ebb music wayriver she flows. --James Joyce

Posts: 1604 | Location: Schlaraffenland | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Your quibble is not with me. It would have to be with either Linda or James Young from
http://www.flyingdreams.org/
That introduction blurb was copy and paste from the noted webpage

I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet_Pea
posted Hide Post
Thank you a million times over! Your help is very much appreciated. Smile

--------------
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

Posts: 26 | Location: the garden | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post