Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  I Need a Quote!    Help! I need a good quote to start a valedictorian speech with.

Moderators: Mrs. Micawber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! I need a good quote to start a valedictorian speech with.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm doing a valedictorian speech next thursday for my highschool grad, and I need some ideas for good grad quotes to start off with.

Also, if anyone has general suggestions on doing a valedictorian speech, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06-19-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will be any help but my friend wrote in my leavers book this little poem.

"From quiet homes and first beginnings
Out to the undiscovered ends
There's nothing worth the wear of winning
But laughter and the love of friends."

We were all writing more about the friends that we have gained along the way through school life rather than the actual school and work - maybe you could do that - focus more on what life has been like with friends - just a suggestion.

Hope i've been helpful
Becki xx

Posts: 101 | Location: Kent, England, UK | Registered: 04-16-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you're the val and you can't think of a speech. where did you spend the last 4 yrs of ur life?

Posts: 13 | Registered: 10-02-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
"Often what we think is best for others is distorted by our attachment to our opinions: we want others to be happy in the way we think they should be happy. It is only when we want nothing for ourselves that we are able to see clearly into other's needs and understand how to serve them."
~ Gandhi
http://www.et.byu.edu/sot/faculty/eet/bl/quotes.txt

...the shortest commencement address in history was reportedly delivered by the film maker Woody Allen. He stepped to the podium, recognized administrators, faculty, alumni and alumnae, then turned to the students and uttered two sentences. "We have given you a perfect world. Please do not screw it up."
An equally succinct graduation speech was evidently delivered by the comedian Bob Hope a number of years ago. He, too, began by recognizing the distinguished members of the audience.
Then he said to the students: "As you prepare to leave these hallowed halls of learning, these bastions of knowledge, these citadels of scholarship, I have just two words of advice: Don't go."

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of El Gargoyle
posted Hide Post
so I do have some tips.
One--you're going to be nervous. As nervous as hell. Expect that. Breathe slowly, it calms you down.
Two--nobody expects you to be profound. Don't be insulted.
Three--ask one of your friends to wear something comically outrageous under the graduation gown, and think of that.

Good luck.

Posts: 101 | Registered: 12-07-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dance like nobodys watching , work like you dont need the money, love like youve never been hurt, and live like its you last day!

jackass
lemon luver

Posts: 2 | Location: st.Peters,MO,U.S | Registered: 06-20-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did the speech and it went just fine. Surprisingly I wasn't nervous at all. Thanks for all the advice.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06-19-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Becki:
I don't know if this will be any help but my friend wrote in my leavers book this little poem.

"From quiet homes and first beginnings
Out to the undiscovered ends
There's nothing worth the wear of winning
But laughter and the love of friends."

We were all writing more about the friends that we have gained along the way through school life rather than the actual school and work - maybe you could do that - focus more on what life has been like with friends - just a suggestion.

Hope i've been helpful
Becki xx

becki you gave me a great poem, thank you!

Posts: 1 | Location: North York, ON, Canada | Registered: 06-16-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post