Find
Notify
Tools

Solitude
 Login/Join 
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted
I have liked this quote since first reading, and it has remained locked within my mind ever since, perhaps others may take something from the moral contained therein.

"If from Society we learn to live,
'Tis Solitude should teach us how to die;
It hath no flatterers"................Lord Byron.

[This message was edited on 12-28-02 at 04:38 PM.]

Posts: 5796 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Voyager
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Conversation enriches the understanding; but solitude is the school of genius.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Solitude must be that of a caterpillar that transforms itself to become a butterfly; coming out of the cocoon without wings makes the exercise a waste of time. - unknown

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that can’t be changed, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. - Niebuhr, Reinhold
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posts: 664 | Location: Philippines | Registered: 11-13-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Oh, I have to thank you, I'd forgotten those, and I must say the last one, is very much a favourite of mine, because I like the syntax used by its author, I also think its very beautiful.

"Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone"............Octavio Paz.

"We're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life.
..........Tennessee Williams.

Posts: 5796 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Little do men perceive what solitude is, and how far it extendeth. For a crowd is not company, and faces are but a gallery of pictures, and talk but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love.~Francis Bacon (1561-1626).

The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.~Pearl Buck (1892-1973)

You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, when you don’t know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don’t know who your friends are, you don’t know what anybody owes you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative incubation. At first, you may find that nothing happens there. But if you have [such] a sacred place and use it, something eventually will happen.~Joseph Campbell

If you hate solitude, avoid marriage.~Anton Chekhov (1860-1904).

Alone, alone, all, all alone,/ Alone on a wide wide sea!/ And never a saint took pity on/ My soul in agony.~Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834). The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798)

There are days when solitude is a heady wine that intoxicates you with freedom, others when it is a bitter tonic, and still others when it is a poison that makes you beat your head against the wall.~Colette (1873-1954). French novelist.

We live, as we dream — alone.~Joseph Conrad (1857-1924). Heart of Darkness (1902).

The deepest need of man is the need to overcome his separateness, to leave the prison of his aloneness.~Eric Fromm (1900-80); German-born U.S. psychoanalyst and philosopher. The Art of Loving (1956).

[This message was edited on 12-29-02 at 01:52 AM.]

Posts: 18852 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue Moonlight
posted Hide Post
"I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god." - Aristotle

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude." - Aldous Huxley

"Language... has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone." - Paul Johannes

"When we cannot bear to be alone, it means we do not properly value the only companion we will have from birth to death - ourselves." - Eda LeShan

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each all along." Rumi

"Normal people scare me."

Posts: 16 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 10-29-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Alice
posted Hide Post
To be exempt from the passions with which others are tormented, is the only pleasing solitude.
~ Joseph Addison ~

The right to be alone -- the most comprehensive of rights, and the right most valued by civilized man.
~ Louis D. Brandeis ~

Solitude is painful when one is young, but delightful when one is more mature.
~ Albert Einstein ~

There is convincing evidence that the search for solitude is not a luxury but a biological need. Just as humans posses a herding instinct that keeps us close to others most of the time, we also have a conflicting drive to seek out solitude. If the distance between ourselves and others becomes too great, we experience isolation and alienation, yet if the proximity to others becomes too close, we feel smothered and trapped.
~ Jeffrey Kottler ~

It is in deep solitude that I find the gentleness with which I can truly love my brothers. The more solitary I am the more affection I have for them…. Solitude and silence teach me to love my brothers for what they are, not for what they say.
~Thomas Merton~

"Do all things with love."
Og Mandino

Posts: 4747 | Location: The Official "Surf City, USA" | Registered: 10-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Viktoria
posted Hide Post
"Make your ego porous. Will is of little importance, complaining is nothing; fame is nothing. Openness, patience, receptivity, solitude is everything."
--Rainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926).

"A good marriage is that in which each appoints the other guardian of his solitude."
--Rilke, Letters.

We must learn to love life without ever trusting it. G.K. Chesterton
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 1604 | Location: Schlaraffenland | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Ananya
posted Hide Post
The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship.
-- Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

In solitude especialy do we begin to appreciate the advantage of living with someone who can think.
-- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)

And I was taught to feel, perhaps too much,
the self-sufficing power of Solitude.
-- William Wordsworth, (1770-1850) from The Prelude

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

*~ Scatter Joy ~* - Emerson

Posts: 6238 | Location: India | Registered: 07-03-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Viktoria
posted Hide Post
Never less idle than when wholly idle, nor less alone than when wholly alone.
--Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.E., De Officiis, III, i.

I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers. A man thinking or working is always alone, let him be where he will.
--Henry David Thoreau, Walden, Solitude.

Seashell ebb music wayriver she flows. --James Joyce

Posts: 1604 | Location: Schlaraffenland | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Celebrity is bestial. It is the worst type of karma because of the huge solitude it brings. You are like a gazelle that finds itself straying from the flock. And soon your path is cut off by lions.~Brad Pitt (1963- ), U.S. screen actor.

Posts: 18852 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
One can acquire everything in solitude - except character.
~ Marie Henri Beyle

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~ Catherine Aird
If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? ~ Will Rogers

Posts: 6533 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
One of the conditions of beng human, and even if we're surrounded by others, we essentially live our lives alone: real life takes place inside us.~Paul Auster, U.S. author.

Ah, mon cher, for anyone who is alone, without God and without a master, the weight of days is dreadful.~Albert Camus, The Fall.

True solitude is a din of birdsong, seething leaves, whirling colors or a clamor of tracks in the snow.~Edward Hoaglund, U. S. novelist.

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Ananya
posted Hide Post
"Solitude is a human presumption. Every quiet step is thunder to beetle life underfoot, a tug of impalpable thread on the web pulling mate to mate and predator to prey, a beginning or an end. Every choice is a world made new for the chosen."
-- Barbara Kingsolver

-
much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

Scatter joy ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson.
~*Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make your's burn any brighter.*~
We can't all be stars, but we can all twinkle.
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Posts: 6238 | Location: India | Registered: 07-03-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could.
― Louise Erdrich, The Painted Drum

Ecce quam bonum et quam jucundum habitare fratres in unum ~ Psalm133

Posts: 1931 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 08-25-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Books support us in our solitude and keep us from being a burden to ourselves.
Jeremy Collier (1650 - 1726) English bishop
"In ""The Speaker's Electronic Reference Collection,"" AApex Software, 1994."

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting combination: Having a great fear of being alone, and having a desperate need for solitude and the solitary experience. That's always been a tug of war for me.

~ Jodie Foster

Ecce quam bonum et quam jucundum habitare fratres in unum ~ Psalm133

Posts: 1931 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 08-25-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post