Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Favorite Quotations I & II    Life can't bring me down........

Moderators: emeraldcitizen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life can't bring me down........
 Login/Join 
posted
Just some quotes that help me through life...

"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened." ~Dr Seuss~

"I'd rather cry becasue of the truth, than smile because if a lie." ~Anon~

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow, don't walk behind me, I may not lead, just walk beside me and be my friend." ~Albert Camus~

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pasue and reflect." ~Mark Twain~

"Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong." ~John G. Diefenbaker~

"All sunshine makes a a desert." ~Anon~

"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in it, and it will come naturally." ~David Frost~

"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire."~Arnold Glasow~

"Showing up is 80% of life." ~Woody Allen~

"Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted."~David Bly~

"The impossible is often the untried."~ Jim Goodwin ~

"When one finds himself in a hole of his own
making, it is a good time to examine the quality of his workmanship." ~Jon Remmerde~

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors."~African Proverb~

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows."~Hellen Keller~

"A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials." ~Chinese Proverb~

Candice McMains

[This message was edited on 03-11-03 at 10:52 AM.]

Posts: 2 | Location: Chino Valley, Az USA | Registered: 06-04-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Do not learn more than you absolutely need to get through life.
~ Karl Kraus

People are good enough to get through life, poor enough to make predictable and consequential mistakes.
~Barun Fischoff

If you are like most people then you will probably have a traumatic (starting over) event occur in your life. You may lose a job, lose a business, lose your life's savings, lose a partner, lose a close friend, lose a child, lose your home, lose your health, or lose the health of someone you depend upon. This list of starting over events could go on for pages. Remarkably, there are some people who get through life without any significant losses, but these people are few in number. The normal state of your world is that you will probably have a starting over event or a loss, perhaps a tragic loss, that will seemingly change everything in our world. Although the world still spins on its axis, causing the sun to rise in the east and set in the west�although everything in the world might seem normal to everyone else�your world may be radically changed when a starting over event or a loss occurs. When a loss occurs in your life, remember that Jesus is always with you. He surrounds you with His love night and day. He immerses you in His love and He will never let you fall from His care.
~ posted at one of Shepherd's Care Ministries Sites called Wisdom Moment

YOU HAVE TALENTS, and you DO have troubles in your life, you just have to stick with it and ride them out. You can only expect to get through life as smoothly as possible and with as few mistakes as you can manage. Remember: if it's not killing you, it's making you stronger. Learn what you can, use what you will, but love each other nonetheless.
http://www.keyway.net/~jtrager/breakup.html

"My aim is to get through life unnoticed."
~Ziggy
http://www.ncte.org/teach/buonora25709.html

As a youth, I hated myself for not being good enough. All my inadequacies and failures, not being kind enough, generous or understanding enough, would assail me at night. It became a habit to be guilty and self castigating, not liking myself because I was unworthy... I really tortured myself.
~ Mira Sorvino

I had enormous self-image problems and very low self-esteem, which I hid behind obsessive writing and performing. It's exactly what I do now, except I enjoy it now. I'm not driven like I was in my twenties. I was driven to get through life very quickly.
~David Bowie
http://www.dailycelebrations.com/me.htm

The Truth of Wasting Youth
"Close your eyes. Look at what you have become. Imagine that from the moment you could speak you began to loose your innocence and thus started to realize what the world is all about. Now forget your past and leave behind injustice and the things that have fashioned it. Leave behind the people who get through life by stating a false existence and and possessing a dishonest facade. Now tell me, who remains standing? But you cannot do this. You cannot focus entirely because your innocence has left you from the moment you could speak. There are so many people today who listen to nonsense in the media and try to pass it off as something intelligent. When they are confronted and contradicted they hide and don't want to admit that they themselves have been living in the mire of lies. So many people, living in fear, behind guns, amongst and within stupidity, and running away from the truth. But you can change so much!! Remember: "If you know the truth, the truth shall set you free." (John, 8:32) What will arguments and politics mean in the end? You must be resolute, you must end the falsehoods and face what is "the truth." You must face everyday life and the injustice that surrounds you. Free your mind and aboveall, yourself." - Wasting Youth
~Wadren Hemzol (1983- )
http://www.myschoolonline.com/page/0,1871,52991-134712-56-11537,00.html

My Angel
By Rebecca Berry
Looking deep into your beautiful eyes,
I see something, it takes me by surprise.
Sparkling like a glass of wine,
I find your eyes looking right at mine.
I'm shocked,but I don't look away,
And I'm hoping like crazy that you'll stay.
My prayer answered, you do not move,
there's nothing that I have to prove.
You reach across and take my hand,
my feet now firmly in the sand.
I no longer stumble and fall,
and at last I can stand proud and tall.
No more am I lost, I remember my place;
and once again my life is filled with grace.
Your arms are strong, they are my guide.
You hold my hand, you're by my side.
You come to me when danger is near,
and your smile takes away all my fears.
With your help, I can get through life,
by taking away my pain and strife.
I cannot do it on my own,
without you here, I'm all alone.
At any time you could fly away,
but you rest your wings, and here you stay.
http://applecity.com/Angels/Poems/poems1.html

"You just can't get through life without a sense of humor these days," she said one day, adding, "The most awful things can be really funny. You have to be able to laugh or it gets too depressing." Margo Kaufman, the American humorist, learnt in 1989 that she had breast cancer.
(it took her life at the age of 46)

Jesus said, "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). On the same occasion, he said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you" (John 14:27). Throughout his life and ministry he spoke of peace, and when he came forth from the tomb and appeared unto his disciples, his first greeting was, "Peace be unto you" (John 20:19).
Peace on lips and in heart of Savior
But Jesus was not spared grief and pain and anguish and buffeting. No tongue can speak the unutterable burden he carried, nor have we the wisdom to understand the prophet Isaiah's description of him as "a man of sorrows" (Isaiah 53:3). His ship was tossed most of his life, and, at least to mortal eyes, it crashed fatally on the rocky coast of Calvary. We are asked not to look on life with mortal eyes; with spiritual vision we know something quite different was happening upon the cross.
Peace was on the lips and in the heart of the Savior no matter how fiercely the tempest was raging. May it so be with us-in our own hearts, in our own homes, in our nations of the world, and even in the buffetings faced from time to time by the Church. We should not expect to get through life individually or collectively without some opposition.
One of the wisest of the ancient Romans once spoke a great gospel truth and probably never realized he had done so. Speaking of Roman naval power and the absolute imperative to control the oceans, Cicero said to a military aide, "He who commands the sea has command of everything." (See W. Gurney Benham, Putnam's Complete Book of Quotations [New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1926], p. 505.) Of that I so testify.
'Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea or demons or men or whatever it be, no waters can swallow the ship where lies the Master of ocean and earth and skies. They all shall sweetly obey [his] will. Peace, be still!"

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of I'mNothingNoOne
posted Hide Post
"You can look at all the parts of a terrible thing until you see that they're assemblies of smaller parts, all of which you can name, and some of which you can heal or alter, and finally the terror that seemed unbearable becomes manageable. I suppose what I am describing is the process of grief."-Barbara Kingsolver

“In my own worst season I’ve come back from the colorless world of despair by forcing myself to look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window. And the another: my daughter in a yellow dress. And another: the perfect outline of a full, dark sphere behind the crescent moon. Until I learned to be in love with my life again. Like a stoke victim retraining new parts of the brain to grasp lost skills, I have taught myself joy, over and over again.”-Barbara Kingsolver

[This message was edited on 03-11-03 at 12:33 AM.]

Posts: 367 | Registered: 07-07-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any time I get brought down I listen to these songs:

Travi Tritt - Great Day to Be Alive
Bon Jovi - Everyday
Tim McGraw - Smilin'

Not to everyones taste but they do the trick.

Posts: 51 | Location: Perth, Scotland | Registered: 10-13-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of I'mNothingNoOne
posted Hide Post
"The art of living lies not in eliminating but in growing with troubles."—Bernard M. Baruch

"To see what is right and not to do it is cowardice."-?

"All problems become smaller if you don’t dodge them, but confront them. Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it boldly, and its spines crumble."—William S. Halsey

"The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground."-?

"Light tomorrow with today."—Elizabeth Barrett Browning

"Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?"—Robert Browning

"What is important is not what happens to us, but how we respond to what happens to us."—Jean-Paul Sartre

Posts: 367 | Registered: 07-07-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Here we sit in a branchy row,
Thinking of beautiful things we know;
Dreaming of deeds that we mean to do,
All complete in a minute or two--
Something noble and grand and good,
Won by merely wishing we could.
Now we're going to -- never mind,
Brother, thy tail hangs down behind!"

-Rudyard Kiplin

"...Excellence is not a gift from the gods. It is a human trait that is acquired only by relentless training and ruthless self-assessment. We do not do a good job because we already have virtue or excellence. It's the other way around. We do a good job because we have met a whole range of standards, over and over again, and because we know how to tackle the task of meeting new ones. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not a glamorous or singular achievement. It's a habit."

~"Tribute to John Potter," Robert Agan, Hardinge Brothers, Inc., Audience: Boy Scouts of America, Elmira, New York, July 16, 1996

Last 2 may be off, but they are what I use when things get rough.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 10-28-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post