New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote Game #38
 Login/Join 
Quoteland Fanatic
posted
Where did 2010 go? Where did the last decade go? Hard to believe I've been a QL member for over 10 years now. Particular thanks to Zendam and August, my "seniors" in terms of QL membership, for their faithful and regular contributions in 2010's Quote Game thread (now closed).

Game Rules
1) To reply, post a quote that contains the selected word.
2) Select the “Next word to use” from your quote.
3) Only one quote per reply post
4) Only one reply per day
5) Don't duplicate words or quotes

This edition begins with Zendam's word slick (see here), and a quote I located below that utilizes it:

"God is slick, but he ain't mean." ~ A. Einstein (1946)

Next selected word: ain't

------------------------------
The opposite of joy is not sorrow. It is unbelief. ~ Leslie Weatherhead
Picture me with my ground teeth stalking joy--fully armed too, as it's a highly dangerous quest. ~ Flannery O'Connor

Posts: 2183 | Location: Aslan's Narnia | Registered: 11-10-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Let the teachers teach English and I will teach baseball. There is a lot of people in the United States who say isn't, and they ain't eating.
~ Dizzy Dean

Next word: teach

And just when we were on a roll we have to start over. ~ August Wink

Things ain't what they used to be and probably never was. ~ Will Rogers

Posts: 6536 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
It is not materialism that is the chief curse of the world, as pastors teach, but idealism. Men get into trouble by taking their visions and hallucinations too seriously.~H. L. Mencken

Next word: hallucination(s)

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 21381 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
A hallucination hallucination is a fact, not an error; what is erroneousis a judgment based upon it.
Russell, Bertrand.

Next word: erroneous

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6748 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
A doctrine capable of being stated only in obscure and involved terms is open to reasonable suspicion of being either crude or erroneous.
~ Frederick Pollock

Next word: doctrine

Posts: 6536 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Christianity, with its doctrine of humility, of forgiveness, of love, is incompatible with the state, with its haughtiness, its violence, its punishment, its wars.~Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy

Next word: incompatible

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 21381 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy -- in fact, they're almost incompatible; one emotion hardly leaves room for the other. Both at once can produce unbearable turmoil.
~ Robert Heinlein

Next word: turmoil

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
"What should I have known or written had I been a quiet, mercantile politician or a lord in waiting? A man must travel, and turmoil , or there is no existence."
George Gordon Byron (1788 - 1824) English poet
"Letter, 31 Aug. 1820, to poet Thomas Moorein ""Byron's Letters and Journals,"" vol. 7, ed. by Leslie A. Marchand, 1973-81."

next word: mercantile

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6748 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality.~Friedrich Nietzsche, Maxims

Next word: refinement

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Blood sport is brought to its ultimate refinement in the gossip columns.
~ Bernard Ingham

Next word: gossip

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Gossip is just news running ahead of itself in a red satin dress.~Liz Smith

Next word: satin

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Her legs went on forever, like staring at infinity through a wisp of cotton panty along a skin of satin sea.
~ Jethro Tull

Next word: wisp

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
One may have a blazing hearth in one`s soul and yet no one ever come to sit by it. Passersby see only a wisp of smoke from the chimney and continue on the way.~Vincent Van Gogh

Next word: hearth

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
I secretly understood: the primitive appeal of the hearth. Television is-its irresistible charm-a fire.
~ John Updike

Next word: secretly

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in.~Rita Rudner Eek

Next word: bathroom

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
I grew up with six brothers. That's how I learned to dance - waiting for the bathroom.
~ Bob Hope

Next word: dance

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Dancing is wonderful training for girls, it's the first way you learn to guess what a man is going to do before he does it.~Christopher Morley, Kitty Foyle

Next word: training

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
By keenly confronting the enigmas that surround us, and by considering and analysing the observations that I have made, I ended up in the domain of mathematics, Although I am absolutely without training in the exact sciences, I often seem to have more in common with mathematicians than with my fellow artists.
~ M. C. Escher

Next word: enigma(s)

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
False wit is a fatiguing search after cunning traits, an affectation of saying in enigmas what others have already said naturally, to hang together ideas which are incompatible, to divide that which ought to be united, of seizing false relations.
- Voltaire (Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire)

Next word: fatiguing

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Of all fatiguing, futile, empty trades, the worst, I suppose, is writing about writing.~Hilaire Belloc

Next word: futile