Quote Game #38
 Login/Join 
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Labor is blossoming or dancing where
The body is not bruised to pleasure soul,
Nor beauty born out of its own despair,
Nor blear-eyed wisdom out of midnight oil.
O chestnut tree, great-rooted blossomer,
Are you the leaf, the blossom or the bole?
O body swayed to music,
O brightening glance
How can we know the dancer from the dance?
~ William Butler Yeats

Next word: bruised

Things ain't what they used to be and probably never was. ~ Will Rogers

Posts: 6533 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
The Montana sunset lay between the mountains like a giant bruise from which darkened arteries spread across a poisoned sky.~F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Diamond as Big as the Ritz & Other Stories

Next word: arteries

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19047 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Along the iron veins that traverse the frame of our country, beat and flow the fiery pulses of its exertion, hotter and faster every hour. All vitality is concentrated through those throbbing arteries into the central cities; the country is passed over like a green sea by narrow bridges, and we are thrown back in continually closer crowds on the city gates.
John Ruskin (1819–1900), British art critic, author. "The Lamp of Memory," sct. 20, The Seven Lamps of Architecture (1849).

next word: hotter

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 5880 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts - the less you know, the hotter you get.
~ Bertrand Russell

Next word: inversely

Posts: 6533 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Bureaucracy and social harmony are inversely proportional to each other.~Leon Trotsky

Next word: proportional

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19047 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
Eccentricity has always abounded when and where strength of character had abounded; and the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigor, and courage which it contained.
~ John Stuart Mill

Next word: eccentricity

Ecce quam bonum et quam jucundum habitare fratres in unum ~ Psalm133

Posts: 1956 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 08-25-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Twenty-five or thirty years ago it was natural for a girl to look forward to marriage as embodying all that was of consequence in life. Not to have done so would have stamped the bold Philistine with the fatal brand of eccentricity; and had she perchance gone yet farther and dared to fling conventionality to the winds by earning her bread in a sphere of employment hitherto confined to the sterner sex, her genteel acquaintances would have passed by on the other side, not so much from a snobbish sense of superiority as from a deep-rooted conviction that the unfortunate woman in question had deliberately plunged into the very vortex of sin and humiliation.
Clara (Marquise) Lanza (1859–1939), U.S. author. What America Owes to Women, ch. 44 (1893).

next word: embodying

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 5880 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Acknowledging our inner divinity as a step on the path to embodying it is not to be confused with narcissism or individualism, since we must further admit that everyone’s divine birthright is the same limitless creational potential of unconditional love.
~ Sol Luckman

Next word: narcissism

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
I loathe narcissism, but I approve of vanity.~Diana Vreeland

Next word: vanity

Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
Writers imagine that they cull stories from the world. I'm beginning to believe that vanity makes them think so. That it's actually the other way around. Stories cull writers from the world. Stories reveal themselves to us. The public narrative, the private narrative - they colonize us. They commission us. They insist on being told. Fiction and nonfiction are only different techniques of story telling. For reasons that I don't fully understand, fiction dances out of me, and nonfiction is wrenched out by the aching, broken world I wake up to every morning.
~ Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things

Next word: cull

Ecce quam bonum et quam jucundum habitare fratres in unum ~ Psalm133

Posts: 1956 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 08-25-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
We search the world for truth;
We cull the good, the pure, the beautiful,
From all old flower fields of the soul;
And weary seekers of the best,
We come back laden from our quest,
To find that all the sages said,
Is in the Book our mothers read.
~ John Greenleaf Whittier

Next word: weary

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
I want relations which are not purely personal, based on purely personal qualities; but relations based upon some unanimous accord in truth or belief, and a harmony of purpose, rather than of personality. I am weary of personality. Let us be easy and impersonal, not forever fingering over our own souls, and the souls of our acquaintances, but trying to create a new life, a new common life, a new complete tree of life from the roots that are within us.~D.H. Lawrence

Next word: unanimous

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Oxford is a little aristocracy in itself, numerous and dignified enough to rank with other estates in the realm ; and where fame and secular promotion are to be had for study, and in a direction which has the unanimous respect of all cultivated nations.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882), U.S. essayist, poet, philosopher. "Universities," English Traits (1856).

next word: realm

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
The rule of no realm is mine. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail in my task if anything that passes through this night can still grow fairer or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I too am a steward. Did you not know?" -- Gandalf
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, Book 3)

Next word: steward

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
It is up to us as lawmakers to provide the resources and streamlined processes that will enable our federal forest managers to become the best possible steward of our lands.~Greg Walden

Next word: streamlined

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Well, Adam, it's my guess that the old-fashioned political campaign in a few years will be as extinct as the dodo . It'll be all TV and radio, it'll all be streamlined and nice and easy. Oh mind you, I use the TV and the radio sometimes, but I also get out into the wards. I speak in arenas, armories, street corners—anywhere I can gather a crowd. I even kiss babies. But that's the way I've always done it, and I must say it's usually paid off. But there's no use kidding myself about it. It's on its way out, just as I am. Yes, yes, this is my last campaign, Adam, the last hurrah.
Frank S. Nugent (1908–1965), U.S. screenwriter, and John Ford. Frank Skeffington (Spencer Tracy), The Last Hurrah, discussing campaigning with his nephew Adam Caulfield (Jeffrey Hunter) (1958).

next word: dodo

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
The Dodo never had a chance. He seems to have been invented for the sole purpose of becoming extinct and that was all he was good for.
~ Will Cuppy

Next word: extinct

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Life is a copiously branching bush, continually pruned by the grim reaper of extinction, not a ladder of predictable progress.~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life (1989)

Next word: copiously

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
From my close observation of writers . . . they fall into two groups: 1) those who bleed copiously and visibly at any bad review, and 2) those who bleed copiously and secretly at any bad review.
~ Isaac Asimov

Next word: observation

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
The observation of others is coloured by our inability to observe ourselves impartially. We can never be impartial about anything until we can be impartial about our own organism.~A. R. Orage, British intellectual and editor

Next word: impartial