Find
Notify
Tools

Quote Game #38
 Login/Join 
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Sharing is the essence of teaching. It is, I have come to believe, the essence of civilization . . . Without it, the imagination is but the echo of the self, trapped in a soundproof chamber, reverberating upon itself until it is spent in exhaustion or futility.~Bill Moyers

Next word: echo

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19029 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
"To write is to make oneself the echo of what cannot cease speaking --and since it cannot, in order to become its echo I have, in a way, to silence it. I bring to this incessant speech the decisiveness, the authority of my own silence."
Maurice Blanchot (1907 - 2003) French "writer, philosopher,literary theorist"
"""The Essential Solitude,"" in ""The Space of Literature;"" 1955; repr. in ""The Gaze of Orpheus,"" ed. P. Adams Sitney, 1981."

next word: incessant

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 5865 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
We are restless because of incessant change, but we would be frightened if change were stopped.
~ Lyman Lloyd Bryson

Next word: frightened

Things ain't what they used to be and probably never was. ~ Will Rogers

Posts: 6533 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Luck is everything... My good luck in life was to be a really frightened person. I'm fortunate to be a coward, to have a low threshold of fear, because a hero couldn't make a good suspense film.~Alfred Hitchcock

Next word: threshold

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19029 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.
The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather of his faith and his lovingness.
If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.
~ Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Next word: aught

Ecce quam bonum et quam jucundum habitare fratres in unum ~ Psalm133

Posts: 1956 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 08-25-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
And Ardennes waves above them her green leaves,
Dewy with nature's tear-drops, as they pass,
Grieving, if aught inanimate e'er grieves,
Over the unreturning brave, --- alas !
Ere evening to be trodden like the grass
Which, now beneath them, but above shall grow
In its next verdure, when this fiery mass
Of living valour, rolling on the foe,
And burning with high hope, shall moulder cold and low!
~Lord Byron, Waterloo, (formerly Childe Harold's Pilgrimage)

Next word: inanimate

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
"There are only 3 pleasures in life pure and lasting, and they all are derived from inanimate things: books, pictures, and the face of nature."
William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830) English "writer, essayist"
"Criticism of Art, 1843"

next word: derived

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 5865 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Pleasure is always derived from something outside you, whereas joy arises from within.
~ Eckhart Tolle

Next word: Pleasure

Posts: 6533 | Location: Bellevue, NE | Registered: 11-01-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Pleasure is the greatest incentive to evil.~Plato

Next word: incentive

Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
Economic power is exercised by means of a positive, by offering men a reward, an incentive, a payment, a value; political power is exercised by means of a negative, by the threat of punishment, injury, imprisonment, destruction. The businessman's tool is values; the bureaucrat's tool is fear.
~Ayn Rand

Next word: bureaucrat

Posts: 1956 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: 08-25-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Mystical references to society and its programs to help may warm the hearts of the gullible but what it really means is putting more power in the hands of bureaucrats.~Thomas Sowell

Next word: gullible

Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
When people are kids their parents teach them all sorts of stuff, some of it true and useful, some of it absurd hogwash (example of former: don't crap your pants; example of latter: Columbus discovered America). This is why puberty happens. The purpose of puberty is to shoot an innocent and gullible child full of nasty glandular secretions that manifest in the mind as confusion, in the innards as horniness, upon the skin as pimples, and on the tongue as cocksure venomous disbelief in every piece of information, true or false, gleaned from one's parents since infancy. The net result is a few years of familial hell culminating in the child's exodus from the parental nest, sooner or later followed by a peace treaty and the emergence of the postpubescent as an autonomous, free-thinking human being who knows that Columbus only trespassed on an island inhabited by our lost and distant Indian relatives, but who also knows not to crap his pants.
~ David James Duncan, The River Why

Next word: hogwash

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
For five years I have preserved the following miracle of pointless imbecility and bathos, waiting to see if I could find anything in literature that was worse. But in vain. I have read it forty or fifty times, altogether, and with a steadily-increasing pleasurable disgust. I now offer it for competition as the sickliest specimen of sham sentimentality that exists. I almost always get it out and read it when I am low-spirited, and it has cheered many and many a sad hour for me- I will remark in the way of general information, that in California, that land of felicitous nomenclature, the literary name of this sort of stuff is "hogwash":

The Galaxy, June 1870. Memoranda by Mark Twain.

next word:
imbecility

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
That it should still be necessary, at this late stage in the senility of the human race to argue that women have a fine and fluent intelligence is surely an eloquent proof of the defective observation, incurable prejudice, and general imbecility of it.~Henry Louis Mencken

Next word: senility

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
When I was very young and the urge to be someplace was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable.
~ John Steinbeck

Next word: incurable

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
"There are souls that are incurable and lost to the rest of society. Deprive them of one means of folly, they will invent ten thousand others. They will create subtler , wilder methods, methods that are absolutely desperate."
Antonin Artaud (1896 - 1948) French "dramatist, poet, actor"
"General Security: The Liquidation of Opium (1925; repr. in Selected Writings, pt. 10, ed. by Susan Sontag, 1976), arguing for the free use of opium."

next word: subtler

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
The theater, bringing impersonal masks to life, is only for those who are virile enough to create new life: either as a conflict of passions subtler than those we already know, or as a complete new character.~Alfred Jarry (1873–1907), French writer

Next word: virile

Picture of nightwriter
posted Hide Post
If a man is highly sexed he's virile.
If a woman is, she's a nymphomaniac.
With them it's power
but with us it's a disease!
Even the act of sex is called penetration!
Why don't they call it enclosure?
~ Gemma Hatchback

Next word: enclosure

chuckle.

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of August
posted Hide Post
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission.
~ Arnold Bennett

Next word: sacred

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
It's often difficult for us to act compassionately, but sacred art eases the difficulty by ennobling us.~Huston Smith

Next word: ennobling