Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Favorite Quotations I & II    Quote A Day Game - 7th Edition
Page 1 ... 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 

Moderators: emeraldcitizen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote A Day Game - 7th Edition
 Login/Join 
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
Obit:

"Ideas are easy. It's the execution of ideas that really separates the sheep from the goats."
~Sue Grafton (1940-2017)

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
~Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

Posts: 11542 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mayaqueen
posted Hide Post
"Life must be understood backwards; but...it must be lived forwards"
Soren Kierkegaad - Danish philosopher - 1813-1855

Di

Posts: 1638 | Registered: 02-15-14Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Time has no division to mark its passage, there is never a thunderstorm or blare of trumpets to announce the beginning of a new month or year.

Even when a new century begins it is only we mortals who ring bells and fire pistols.
~Thomas Mann (1875-1955), German novelist, The Magic Mountain [1924], Chapter 5

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 21011 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
"And suns grow meek, and the meek suns grow brief, and the year smiles as it draws near its death."
~William C. Bryant (1794-1878)

Words well spoken.

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”

Posts: 11542 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mayaqueen
posted Hide Post
"We live, not as we wish to, but as we can"
Menander - Greek comic dramatist

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Di

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: "To rise above little things."~John Burroughs (1837-1921), naturalist

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 21011 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
"And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been."
~Rainer Maria Rilke {1875-1926)

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a wind comes up, blows you off course. You're not ready for it, but if you're lucky, you end up in a more interesting place than you'd planned.~Nora Roberts (1950-), writer, The Calhouns: Suzanna and Megan [2005]

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
We can pay our debt to the past by putting the future in debt to ourselves.
-- John Buchan: (1875-1940) Scottish author, government official.

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6605 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance.
~Orville Wright (1871-1948)

Case in point:

"No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris."
~Orville Wright

Picture of mayaqueen
posted Hide Post
"I admire the man who reveals his mind to me; I honor him who unveils his dreams. But why am I shy, and even a little ashamed before him who serves me?"
Kahlil Gibran - 1883-1931

Di

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
America is neither free nor brave, but a land of tight, iron-clanking little wills, everybody trying to put it over everybody else, and a land of men absolutely devoid of the real courage of trust, trust in life's sacred spontaneity. They can't trust life until they can control it.~D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), writer

Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
Obit:

"On occasion we need to make a second effort - and a third effort, and a fourth effort, and as many degrees of effort as may be required to accomplish what we strive to achieve."
~Thomas S. Monson (1927-2018)

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”
―John Steinbeck American author. He won the 1962 Nobel Prize in Literature "for his realistic and imaginative writings, combining as they do sympathetic humour and keen social perception.
Source:
Original: "... and what good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?" - Travels with Charley and later novels, 1947-1962 (Library of America, 2007)

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6605 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mayaqueen
posted Hide Post
"All pro athletes are bilingual. They know English and profanity"
Gordie Howe - Canadian professional Hockey prayer - 1928-2016

Di

Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
"Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth."
~Victor Borge (1909-2000)

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Growing older is not upsetting; being perceived as old is.~Kenneth Ray "Kenny" Rogers (1938-) is an American singer-songwriter and record producer

Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
"Success is not forever and failure isn't fatal."
~Don Shula (1930-   )

"I never felt I knew it all. I always felt there's something new to learn, something new to do."
~Don Shula

Picture of mayaqueen
posted Hide Post
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
Albert Camus - French novelist

Di

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
My mind is not a bed to be made and remade.
-- James Agate: (1877-1947) English critic, author.