Find
Notify
Tools

Support Quoteland
 Login/Join

Quoteland Titan
Picture of Alice
posted
For some time now Quoteland has been operating on the "red", in other words at a financial loss.
It was decided to start running "Ads by Gooble" banners as the most unobtrusive way of bringing revenue in. The ads started running a few days ago.
To offer your support all you have to do is click on some of the ads – let the whole webpage open – and that’s it: you are supporting Quoteland.

Your help will be greatly appreciated, so as Mrs. Micawber aptly said: for the benefit of us all, please “visit our sponsors”.

"Do all things with love."
Og Mandino

Posts: 4747 | Location: The Official "Surf City, USA" | Registered: 10-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Passionate Moderate
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Fuzzies
posted Hide Post
Does opening the same site twice count? What happens in that situation?

~Forever Fuzziesareourfriends~
http://www.freewebs.com/fuzziesareourfriends/index.htm
JOIN THE PACT: If you break grammar rules then explain what
you've done and why, or be prepared to answer those questions.
If you cannot do these, then do not post your writing.

Posts: 5637 | Location: Aotearoa (New Zealand) | Registered: 09-22-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Alice
posted Hide Post
Good question!
All I know is they said to open the websites, guess they count the number of hits, so I gues the answer to your question would be "yes" each time you open a site counts.
Of course I could be totally wrong. Roll Eyes

Og Mandino

Posts: 4747 | Location: The Official "Surf City, USA" | Registered: 10-12-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Founder
Picture of David
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure. Probably better if you just open as many different things as you can. We really appreciate it! Smile

Thanks,
David

======================

My BJournal

Posts: 1171 | Location: Cambridge, MA | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Aeras
posted Hide Post
Just wondering, but how does the ads by google actually work? Do they send you a check or something after every month based on the number of hits recieved on from this website?

Just curious, for if it actually does help I may try it on my future website.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

-Aeras

Posts: 2667 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 03-22-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Explorer
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Sentrawoods
posted Hide Post
I'm not a professional when it comes to these advertisements, but I have had an opportunity to discuss the matter with people who are. By selecting and opening these ads, the website can receive anywhere from a dollar up to possibly three dollars per one thousand views.

The larger your website is, ( Quoteland.com is huge ), the more it costs to provide storage space to keep up with traffic and saved files. As this site continues to grow, so do the costs. Now a thousand hits per ad may seem like a lot, but considering that thousands may visit at any given day, these click on ads may just save this website.

I for one would be very sad to see this all come to an end due to financial reasons. If you haven't noticed, the ads sometimes pertain to the actual topic your viewing! This has helped me gather information for the reply I was posting at that time. Either way, don't be discouraged by the ads and how they work. Support our site by visiting these ads on given opportunities or we may not survive the future.

Posts: 4951 | Location: my enchanted forest | Registered: 09-14-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of EeyoreLynn
posted Hide Post
Does right clicking and opening the page in a new window still count? I can do that more often then clicking and being taken away from QL.

Off to do some clicking before doing my homework.

______

" 'It is for God to punish wicked people; we should learn to forgive.' 'No, God won't have the satisfaction that I shall.' he returned." Nelly and Heathclif, WH

Posts: 4696 | Registered: 01-13-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Alice
posted Hide Post
I usually right click, I think that whichever way the ads are opened counts.

Og Mandino

Picture of elikapeka
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't know about this! Whoo hoo ads!

Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open.
Click. Open...

Hope it helps! People, open the ads!

Me ke aloha,
Elikapeka.

"Perfect love is rare indeed - for to be a lover will require that you continually have the subtlety of the very wise, the flexibility of the child, the sensitivity of the artist, the understanding of the philosopher, the acceptance of the saint, the tolerance of the scholar and the fortitude of the certain."

--Leo Buscaglia

Posts: 472 | Location: Houston, Texas, U.S. | Registered: 03-08-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of Harv
posted Hide Post
=) thanks for helping elik =)

-Harv
Stella Splendens
December 22, 1985-March 27, 2003

Posts: 4507 | Location: Earth, Milky Way | Registered: 11-29-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
So here we are, the better part of eight years further on - are we still in the red...or does anybody even take note anymore?

Ron

(Sig. off)

Posts: 12083 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator (retired)
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
I do take note, and care. I have sent an email to the owner and hope to get a reply.
I looked at the "Members online now" list and was surprised to see a very long list, so there are a lot of visitors checking things out. It just appears that people don't post as much anymore.
I also ran a report:
Date Period 2015-01-01 to 2015-01-31
New Registrations 47
User Logins 77881
Avg Visit Time (mins) 3.9
Page Views 1170518

Some impressive numbers. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Posts: 17445 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should discuss some ideas/incentives to increase the amount of activity and postings...not just by the spam horde either.

Posts: 12083 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of lost butterfly
posted Hide Post
I have some very sad news to pass along for former members of WordDistillery. I just received an email from "Southern Girl" who was also a member of WD, that Becky Sutton, known as "Galatea" on WD has passed away. That is all the info I received but was asked to pass it along to any Worddistillery members.

~~RIP sweet Lady G~~

Posts: 2674 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 06-30-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Oh that is so sad, I remember her on WD and also a long standing member here on QL with whom I often had conversations. I wonder if Shamus knows, as they were very friendly.

sad news indeed, I wonder if this should have been posted on a part of QL which is seem more readily, I'll think about it. Thanks for your post LB.

R.I.P Becky.

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6768 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of lost butterfly
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree...so I posted it on the poetry forum where I had freedom to type in a heading /title that would alert others to the content. Was she Galatea on QL? I don't remember her on here. ~~lb~~

Posts: 2674 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 06-30-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Hi LB sorry for getting back so late, I only noticed your question tonight - yes she was Galatea, she was a gem.

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6768 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
Obit:

Just a heads up to any of the old timers here that remember him; Tractor (Randy) has passed away following a lengthy illness.

Ron

Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. Randy, such sad news, but you suffer no more.

Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
For anybody in the Greater Vancouver area who wishes to attend; Randy's funeral will be held at Henderson's in Langley on the 4th - call for the time.