Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Poetry and Prose    We met at a gathering

Moderators: Aeras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We met at a gathering
 Login/Join 
Picture of jchill
Online Status For peace
posted
We met at a gathering

We met at a gathering
I knew her not till then
The wrinkles on her face
No secret of her age
Her eyes bright with youth
Remembering years before
A boy of seventeen
And a table just for two

She looks into my eyes
They try not to say
These years we’ve been waiting
For someone just like you
The gathering abruptly ended
And you were swept away
Leaving me another memory
And a table just for two

J.C.Hill

Posts: 1825 | Location: foristell, Mo. USA | Registered: 08-18-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AncientsofRome
posted Hide Post
"The gathering abruptly ended
And you were swept away
Leaving me another memory
And a table just for two."

I really liked this work especially the last lines
for we all have those reflections of a table
for two and the times we can't have them.

Nicely done.

Posts: 303 | Registered: 06-05-15Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of lost butterfly
posted Hide Post
Jack! what a treat! A poem so tender & filled with love! I am just returning to driving & getting to the library & online after some surgery, and what a nice welcome back: a poem by you!!
I am doing well...early detection is KEY! Stage One, NO chemo/NO radiation! I have been blessed! Now to try to put into words my gratefulness to my partner/caregiver! He has been tremendously supportive & selfless. I would love to pen a poem of thanks for Valentine's Day...I hope the words come.

~~lb~~

Posts: 2667 | Location: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: 06-30-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
I'm going through a similar thing with a very close relative of mine - it's not easy but if you have the strength of another it sure makes a difference.

I hope you will continue to be well LB

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6745 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
Jack
As always you write straight from the heart, I do tend to nip in and out of the poetry section and sometimes I don't even leave a comment, but will do so in future.

This was a delight to read, and you put so much of yourself into your writing - I know that much for sure.

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6745 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordwhizz
posted Hide Post
Wistful - poignant - I like it.

WW

Posts: 502 | Location: Mandurah, Western Australia | Registered: 03-15-11Reply With QuoteReport This Post