Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    All men are not truly free if one man is oppressed

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All men are not truly free if one man is oppressed
 Login/Join

posted
Need some help on this quote please, deadline this Friday

Hello, does anyone know who quoted this. If so any info would help me. I have a deadline this friday. I think it's by Stephen Beko??? IE: author etc...
"All men are not truly free if one man is oppress"

Thanks everyone.
duce1

[This message was edited on 01-06-04 at 11:47 PM.]

[This message was edited on 01-07-04 at 05:27 PM.]

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01-06-04Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Editor
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Petrarch
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Quoteland. Many places on the internet credit Martin Luther King. I'm not near my reference books so I can't check for sure. There is a good chance he was quoting from Biko, a South African.
"No one is free while others are oppressed."

Posts: 2072 | Location: Washington D.C. | Registered: 11-28-99Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone, And thanks Petrarch for the info, but I'd search the net, it's just there?.
I'm still looking for this quote or phrase.
If anyone knows the web site etc... Please let me know. I have a deadline on friday, Sorry for the rush. I just need to make sure its a correct qoute and who stated it.

"All men are not truly free if one is oppressed"
or
"No one is free while others are oppressed"

Thanks
Duce1

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01-06-04Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing too many people saying it is a bumper sticker or banner thingy.
"No one is free while others are oppressed"
Click here for Google search hits

Martin Luther King said that "If one is oppressed all [are] oppressed."
http://www.newsaustralia.com/special-feature-september-2003.htm

"When one of us is hurt, we all hurt. When one is oppressed, we all are oppressed. When one of us is healed, we all are healed.''
~ Rev. Taylor Thompson, MARCC president and pastor of Quinn Chapel AME Church in Forest Park
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/04/13/midday2.html

"If One Person in the World Is Oppressed, All Are Oppressed"
~ seen on a bumper sticker
While one is oppressed, all are oppressed.
http://abs.bahai.org.au/fallon75.htm

New Jersey Civil Rights Defense Committee (CRDC) proudly asserts that it “will not stand aside and allow the government to destroy our civil rights . . . There cannot be democracy for the few: if one is oppressed, all are oppressed.”

I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls

Posts: 17434 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Editor
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Petrarch
posted Hide Post
duce1 -
I found most of the same stuff nostromo did, but strangely did not find anything that relates the quote to Biko. He seems like the kind of guy who certainly MIGHT have said it, but how did you first get the idea that it might be connected to Biko?

Posts: 2072 | Location: Washington D.C. | Registered: 11-28-99Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
The quotation that Biko is "known" for is [four versions]:

Steve Biko said it so well, “The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.”
http://www.officeoftheamericas.org/newsletter/0102_focus_for_printing.pdf
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.”
- Steve Biko
http://www.insolitology.com/topten/koostrenite/ri-808i.htm
http://www.geocities.com/minjokhan/NEWS/Beginnings.2.html
Steve Biko said, "The greatest weapon in the hands of the oppressor, is the mind of the oppressed."
http://majormediabypass.com/
“The most important weapon in the hands of any oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.”
~ Steven Biko

I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls

Posts: 17434 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am often surprised by how unknown some very famous people are when it comes to quotes. Everyone remembers the paraphrasing by subsequent people and due to no attribution given, no one remembers who said it first.

Maybe, that comes out of something that Emerson wrote about speaking before someone else does because all ideas come to everyone eventually, but it is the person who speaks that gets remembered... sort of.

Henry David Thoreau spoke of slavery, and a version of this quote was written by him in a discussion of how even the slaveholder is enslaved when he enslaves another, that if one is enslaved, all are enslaved.

One of the political theorists of old, Georg Hegel? not sure, also discussed such ideas of there being no equality if everyone is not equal... but that one is more vague to me... it's been a while.

Of course, there are all of the more modern speakers who surely read and heard those words multiple times over their lifetimes, and they too repeated them in a paraphrased form that applied to that moment.

There are also many quotes applying that thought in another way (paraphrased by me)... To save one life is to save all, Elie Wiesel, I think, regarding the shoah; Martin Luther King and others regarding silence of onlookers to injustice, and many more.

It is a universal idea that Hillary Clinton also used that "It takes a village to raise a child," the idea that "We are our brothers' keeper," from the Torah/Old Testament, (some of which was also a part of Shakespeare's characters words, the idea that apathy to the suffering of others is apathy toward self since all that befalls another affects all of us now or later.

If you want someone to tell you if the ideas are true, well... that is a discussion for philosophers, but suffice it to say that it is something we all sense, an instinctive quality of life that we all feel from birth, that we can't survive without one another.

I recognize that the date for the original writer's paper has long passed, but this is a timeless question. Someone else will come here the same way I did today, trying to find out all the people or one of the people who said something similar to what was written above. The one answer does not exist on the internet because there is no one answer. So search for all answers instead knowing what Ralph Waldo Emerson said that we all reach similar conclusions because we are not so unique in this world as we are the same.
[Barbara Elizabeth Brown Johnson]

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08-22-16Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Added to the mix:

Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free.~John F. Kennedy's Ich bin win Berliner speech (26 June 1963)

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 20429 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post