Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan
 Login/Join

posted
success, who said this quote? my professor asked and no one knew...

"success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan"

[This message was edited on 12-12-03 at 10:36 PM.]

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12-12-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17434 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vonneybeth
AIM: Online Status For BitterNLovingIt
posted Hide Post
After the Bay of Pigs invasion JFK said
"...victory has 100 fathers and defeat is an orphan...."

Press conference, April 21, 1961, in response to a question asked by journalist Sander Vanocour, Public Papers of the Presidents: 1961, pp. 316-317, question #17.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/jfkquote.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If I don't drive around the park, I'm pretty sure to make my mark.
If I'm in bed each night by ten, I may get back my looks again.
If I abstain from fun and such, I'll probably amount to much;
But I shall stay the way I am, Because I do not give a damn. ~Dorothy Parker

Posts: 11 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12-01-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan (La victoria trova cento padri, a nessuno vuole riconoscere l'insuccesso) (1942)~popularized by JFK but originated with Italian diplomat and son-in-law of Mussolini, Count Galeazzo Ciano (1903-1944), The Ciano Diaries, 1939-1943, Vol. 2.

Posts: 20799 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DKW
posted Hide Post
Tacitus, «Agricola», 27:
It is the singularly unfair peculiarity of war that THE CREDIT OF SUCCESS IS CLAIMED BY ALL, WHILE A DISASTER IS ATTRIBUTED TO ONE ALONE.

Posts: 59 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 04-30-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the Latin, again, in case you're interested: inquissima haec bellorum condicio est: prospera omnes sibi indicant, aduersa uni imputantur.

The Italian version probably dates back to the Renaissance, when Tacitus experienced a revival of fortune. Before that his work was unpopular: so unpopular, in fact, that his greatest work, the Annales, survives in only two or three known manuscripts.

skaioisi men gar kaina prospheron sopha
doxeis achreios kou sophos pephukenai.
Euripides, Medea

Posts: 1221 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03-15-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post