Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    Who said this regarding a review read in a paper

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who said this regarding a review read in a paper
 Login/Join

posted
paraphrasing probably, I am in the smallest room in my house. I have your review in front of me. Now it is behind me" I have heard it is attributed to the composer Max Reger, to Winston Churchill, and to George Bernard Shaw, but not sure if any of these is correct.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07-23-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me."

responding to a savage review by Rudolph Louis in Munchener Neueste Nachrichton, 7 February 1906. Nicolas Slonimsky Lexicon of Musical Invective (1955).

There is your answer and welcome to Quoteland.

littera scripta manet
the written word remains.
(the saying continues: 'The weak word perishes')

Posts: 6555 | Location: Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Viktoria
posted Hide Post
Very impressive find, Mrs. M. I'm a little confused, though--Slonimsky reported it in his book, but who said it?

We must learn to love life without ever trusting it. G.K. Chesterton
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 1604 | Location: Schlaraffenland | Registered: 10-28-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certainly the most celebrated use of it was a quotation from the German musician Max Reger. Reger was notoriously irascible and didn't react well to a savage review by Rudolph Louis in Münchener Neueste Nachrichten, February 1906. His response was:

"Ich sitze in dem kleinsten Zimmer in meinem Hause. Ich habe ihre Kritik vor mir. Im nachsten Augenblick wird sie hinter mir sein"

("I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!")

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11-01-15Reply With QuoteReport This Post