Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    I shall remain humble as long as I'm respected but I shall fight to retain my dignity

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I shall remain humble as long as I'm respected but I shall fight to retain my dignity
 Login/Join

posted
Help.
I am surrounded by academic types who use this quote [I shall remain humble as long as I am respected but I shall fight to retain my dignity] and attribute it to 'Heywood'. Although, they do not know which 'Heywood'...John or Thomas or ??? I would like to know if this is a real quote or if it has gone through revisions and is now bastardized (e.g. Would yee both eat your cake and have your cake? = You can't have your cake and eat it too.)
- John Heywood (1497? - 1580)
Proverbes. Part i. Chap. ix. 1546

...or simply misquoted to 'Heywood'.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may bring on the matter.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 05-03-16Reply With QuoteReport This Post