Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    can anyone tell me who said "we, the unwilling, led by"

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can anyone tell me who said "we, the unwilling, led by"
 Login/Join

Picture of dwfdjf
posted
Hello,
I remember a quote that goes something like...
"we, the unwilling, led by the incompetant, have been doing the difficult for so long with so little, that we now can do anything with nothing"
does anyone know this quote?
thanks,
doug

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01-31-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
We the unwilling, led by the incompetent, will now attempt the impossible with nothing.~this was a saying that was prevalent during the Viet Nam era and probably originated as a military catchphrase.

There was a variant: We, the unwilling, led by the incompetent, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful. This was probably a military saying used in regards to the Viet Nam protesters.

Everyone is in the best seat!~John Cage

Posts: 20501 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Historian Konstantin Josef Jireček originally, according to goodreads.com and Wikipedia
Others attribute it to Mother Teresa, but she was pretty well read herself so she probably got it from him. Which leaves me wondering who it was that popularized the saying in the Vietnam War era.

http://www.goodreads.com/quote...nowing-are-doing-the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...n_Josef_Jire%C4%8Dek

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04-01-16Reply With QuoteReport This Post