Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    A ship in a harbour is safe, but this is not what a ship is built for.

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A ship in a harbour is safe, but this is not what a ship is built for.
 Login/Join

posted
Who said this quotation first?
William Shedd or Grace Hoppern (Erfinderin)?
Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Hong Kong | Registered: 02-15-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Though, this is another one of those quotes that demonstrates the unreliability, sometimes, to absolutely pin down the source. I am suspicious of the Shedd attribution, because even though he was a respected theologian, a Calvinist, and an author, all the attributions for him say that "he said." Well, if he wrote so much, why all of a sudden is he known for this quote that "he said."
When you search for the first part of the quote, almost all attributions go to William Shedd. When you search for the last part of the quote, all of a sudden you see tons of attributions to a John A. Shedd, and I cannot find out anything about this person.
If you look at the website I've included about Grace Hopper, it seems to me this is the best reference for a solid attribution available; again, on the Internet. Someone with some hardcopy resources might be able to source it better. Oh, and the saying varies between harbour, harbor, dock, and port. (Geez, did I get all over this or what?)
"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for," said Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper.
http://niagara.rivier.edu/students/mneville/history/hopper.htm
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. Grace Brewster Murray Hopper. (The use of the word "bug" is also due to Grace Hopper. She traced a computer problem to a dead bug in the hardware and taped that bug into her notebook.)
http://niagara.rivier.edu/students/mneville/history/hopper.htm

A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - great nineteenth-century theologian, William Shedd
A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are for. John A. Shedd.
A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for. -- Benazir Bhutto
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
-- GRANT M. BRIGHT

Ships Are Safe in the Harbour (poem, author unknown)

All I live for is now
All I stand for is where and how
All I wish for are magic moments

As I sail through change
My resolve remains the same
What I chose are magic moments

Because ships are safe in the harbour
But that is not what ships are made for
The mind could stretch much further
But it seems that is not what our minds are trained for

We call for random order
You can't control Mother nature's daughter

Ships are safe in the harbour
But that is not what ships are built for

The witch hunter roams
The scary thing is that he's not alone
He's trying to down my magic moments

As we sail through change
Ride the wind of a silent rage
And sing laments of magic moments

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your info is really very helpful. I'm taking your advice and attributing it to Grace Hopper. Again, thanks so much.

Posts: 2 | Location: Hong Kong | Registered: 02-15-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Shedd was a theologian.
Rear Admiral Hopper was in the navy. It makes sense she would relate to ships, moreso than Shedd would.

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jalstott>
posted
At least 30 years ago I purchased an Inspirational-type poster with a ship heading out to sea. The publisher of the poster was a reputiable company (don't remember the name)and that type of poster was just becoming popular.

It had this quote on it .. and attributed it to Shedd. I also know alot of Adm Hopper (as I am a military computer type) and don't doubt that she could have dreamed it up herself.

But I suspect she was just used the quote more than a few times .. to get folks out of their comfort zone and tackle some reality for a change. wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
All input is appreciated, because I think I adequately demonstrated the uncertainty of the Internet resources available to source this quote; or more to: "nail it down."
I still stand by my assertion that Hopper is the most likely originator of this quote, based on the citings which I listed. I know I am repeating myself, but as far as the Internet is concerned, I "got all over" this one. I recall putting some time into this.
That certainly doesn't mean that just because of that, that I am right.

Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for~John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic (1928)

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19072 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coleman Patrick Walsh the Third
posted Hide Post
what does it mean? i am writing a paper on it and i need some more info/help with it.

PLEASE HELP Help

Posts: 1 | Location: Portland, Maine, USA | Registered: 11-12-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
It's a metaphor about leaving your "home port" and sailing out into life. We are made to experience life and all it has to offer, not stay safely at home.

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19072 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very, Very Well Said Zendam,

Respectfully,

Michael

Posts: 1194 | Location: Overland Park, Ks USA | Registered: 01-12-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just a quick question:

if the quote can be traced at least as far back as 1928 (~John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic (1928)), how in the world can someone with experience in computers be "the most likely originator of this quote"...?

maybe i've missed something...?

quote:
Originally posted by thenostromo:
All input is appreciated, because I think I adequately demonstrated the uncertainty of the Internet resources available to source this quote; or more to: "nail it down."
I still stand by my assertion that Hopper is the most likely originator of this quote, based on the citings which I listed. I know I am repeating myself, but as far as the Internet is concerned, I "got all over" this one. I recall putting some time into this.
That certainly doesn't mean that just because of that, that I am right.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06-30-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Good question. I'll stick with Shedd, but there is very little info available on him. I even contacted a used book website, abe.com, and there are no copies of his book available.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Augustus_Shedd

posted Hide Post
I would like offer a different perspective on the origin of the quote, "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for,"

I believe it is most likely a statement by Grace Hopper because of the grammatical form.

A 19th century scholar is much less likely than a 20th century naval officer to leave a dangling participle.

I first saw the quote attributed to Grace Hopper in a book on the life of JCR Licklider. I will email the author

Posts: 1 | Location: 1039 | Registered: 03-13-11Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Quotes change through time. The original wording changes depending on who uses it. Many quotes are paraphrased and I will bet that Hopper just changed the wording in Shedd's quote.

posted Hide Post
Can I reconsider. I'm sure life let's me make corrections, if I'm open to correction. A book "If Life Is A Game, These Are The Rules by DR. Cherie Carter Scott says in rule 6 "There" is no better than "Here." Maybe my ship is safe in port or harbor, " Here."

Thanks, Michael

Posts: 1194 | Location: Overland Park, Ks USA | Registered: 01-12-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This quote is often attributed to John A Shedd in his purported 1928 book 'Salt From My Attic' by the Mosher Press, Maine. However, was such a book ever published? It does not show in any library or bookseller catalogues that I have searched (e.g. Library of Congress, Amazon, etc.).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ananya,

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06-21-12Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
excuse me everyones. I write from italy. I can't find the real author of this quote. In italy it is attribuited to paulo cohelo. Had Cohelo steal the quote from other author? It's crazy!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07-07-13Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thenostromo:
Though, this is another one of those quotes that demonstrates the unreliability, sometimes, to absolutely pin down the source. I am suspicious of the Shedd attribution, because even though he was a respected theologian, a Calvinist, and an author, all the attributions for him say that "he said." Well, if he wrote so much, why all of a sudden is he known for this quote that "he said."
When you search for the first part of the quote, almost all attributions go to William Shedd. When you search for the last part of the quote, all of a sudden you see tons of attributions to a John A. Shedd, and I cannot find out anything about this person.
If you look at the website I've included about Grace Hopper, it seems to me this is the best reference for a solid attribution available; again, on the Internet. Someone with some hardcopy resources might be able to source it better. Oh, and the saying varies between harbour, harbor, dock, and port. (Geez, did I get all over this or what?)
"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for," said Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper.
http://niagara.rivier.edu/stud...e/history/hopper.htm
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. Grace Brewster Murray Hopper. (The use of the word "bug" is also due to Grace Hopper. She traced a computer problem to a dead bug in the hardware and taped that bug into her notebook.)
http://niagara.rivier.edu/stud...e/history/hopper.htm

A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - great nineteenth-century theologian, William Shedd
A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are for. John A. Shedd.
A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for. -- Benazir Bhutto
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
-- GRANT M. BRIGHT

Ships Are Safe in the Harbour (poem, author unknown)

All I live for is now
All I stand for is where and how
All I wish for are magic moments

As I sail through change
My resolve remains the same
What I chose are magic moments

Because ships are safe in the harbour
But that is not what ships are made for
The mind could stretch much further
But it seems that is not what our minds are trained for

We call for random order
You can't control Mother nature's daughter

Ships are safe in the harbour
But that is not what ships are built for

The witch hunter roams
The scary thing is that he's not alone
He's trying to down my magic moments

As we sail through change
Ride the wind of a silent rage
And sing laments of magic moments

---------------------------------

I do not know the entire history of this quote. What I can tell you is this: The exact quote from Mr. John A. Shedd is this "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
page 20 Salt from My Attic by John A. Shedd Portland Maine the Mosher Press 1928. I have one copy of this publication. On the back leaf it indicates that Mosher printed 500 copies in 1928. Shedd was a theologian and a sailor.
Some additional quotes from the book: "I do not believe in salting the sea." p. 20

"When there is an original sound in the world it wakens a hundred echoes." And my favorite: "I believe all I hear!" What a fool! "I believe nothing I hear." Twin brother." p. 31......

And it would seem Mr. Shedd was carefully thought out, as he said BEFORE the internet "I must love a man much, and he must love me even more, before I dare give him advice." p. 25
Whether it was Hopper or Shedd it does not matter, listen to the words and be not fearful. That's the message.........
P.S. Mr. Shedd also commented on astronomy, but I do think he traveled to the moon.

Who said it first? Who cares......

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12-08-13Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This quote reminds me of my all time favorite quote by the great golfer Bobby Jones.

Play the ball were it is, not where I wish is was.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Michael

posted Hide Post
As to who said this shouldn't really be a confusing matter. Its very much obvious Grace Hopper was quoting William Shedd. William was born 1820 and diead 1894 and Grace quoted him later. Her being born 1906. I believe John Shedd was quoting him too.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01-31-14Reply With QuoteReport This Post