Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    Preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words.

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preach the Gospel always and if necessary use words.
 Login/Join

Picture of evenstar1013
posted
I'm looking for the precise wording and who said it.
St. Francis of Assisi keeps coming up, but from what I've found this is actually a paraphrase of something he said.
I believe the original person who said it is a monk or theologian whose name begins with a C.
My hubby wants this tattooed and I want it to be accurate! Thanks so much!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01-20-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
"Preach the Gospel" is found in the Bible, but the quote your refer to is attributed to St. Francis. He said to preach the gospel but do not use overly pious words.

Everyone is in the best seat!~John Cage

Posts: 19061 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of evenstar1013
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01-20-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Quoteland. This was an interesting question.
I've seen this referred to as an ancient maxim, attributed to Saint Francis. I noticed one individual go so far as to say this is falsely attributed to St. Francis, but he doesn't offer clear up the mystery.
The following quote from a book review by Bobby Matherne ©2001, about In the House of Memory - Ancient Celtic Wisdom for Everyday Life by Steve Rabey, published by The Penguin Group/NY in 1998, states:
quote:
The attitude of the Celtic clergymen mirrored that of St. Francis of Assisi, who told his followers, "Preach always. If necessary, use words." (page 127) The difference between the Celtic and Roman clerics in their attitude to their flocks is best illustrated in this passage by a twentieth century writer quoted by Rabey:
[page 139] "Celtic monks lived in conspicuous poverty; Roman monks lived well. Celtic monks were unwordly; Roman monks were worldly. Celtic bishops practiced humility; Roman bishops paraded pomp. Celtic bishops were ministers of their flocks; Roman bishops were monarchs of their dioceses. Celtic clergymen said, 'Do as I do,' and hoped to be followed; Roman clergymen said, 'Do as I say,' and expected to be followed."
http://www.doyletics.com/arj/ithomrvw.htm

And finally, the "C" that you remember could very well be the big "C" himself
quote:
Matthew 23:1-3:
"Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying, "The Scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do."
We know that we are to preach the gospel of the Savior at ‘all times’, and when necessary ‘use words’. That we may have a walk worthy of God who has called us into His kingdom and glory (I Thessalonians 2:12).

I could not find the above quote on an active Internet Webpage, but it is currently still in Google's cached memory here, where St. Francis of Assisi isn't even mentioned.

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3saintjoan7
posted Hide Post
His daily prayer, far better understood in acts than in words, was simply doing good.
~ John Greenleaf Whittier

Posts: 156 | Location: Brooklyn, NY USA | Registered: 06-27-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post