Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    I have a quote from Rousseau, I just need the source.

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a quote from Rousseau, I just need the source.
 Login/Join

Picture of Bright Lines Julie
posted
The following quote from Rousseau is from Emile, I think, but I want to know exactly where to find it. Can someone help me?

“To get a good idea of public education, read Plato’s Republic. It is not a political treatise, as those who merely judge books by their title think, but it is the finest, most beautiful work on education ever written.”

Posts: 3 | Location: Utah | Registered: 03-08-18Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
If you wish to know what is meant by public education, read Plato'sRepublic. Those who merely judge books by their titles take this for a treatise on politics, but it is the finest treatise on education ever written.~Rousseau, Emile, Book I

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 21459 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
You'll find that exact quote in the book:
From Plato To Piaget: The Greatest Educational Theorists From Across the Centuries and Around the World.
Authors; William Cooney,Ph.D.,‎ Charles Cross, Ph.D. and Barry Trunk, Ph.D.
Published 1993 by University Press of America

Rousseau's quote can be found on page 69.

Ron

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
~Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

Posts: 12089 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bright Lines Julie
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for your help!!

Posts: 3 | Location: Utah | Registered: 03-08-18Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Overlord
Picture of Trader
posted Hide Post
You're more than welcome.

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
~Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

Posts: 12089 | Location: Lotusland | Registered: 11-24-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Mrs. Micawber
posted Hide Post
It is always so appreciated when someone actually comes back to thank us.

Very polite.

"But each day brings its petty dust our soon-choked souls to fill, and we forget because we must, and not because we will."...Matthew Arnold. [now that's what I call poetic]

Posts: 6768 | Location: S.W. Scotland, United Kingdom. | Registered: 12-15-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post