Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    a democracy can only last until...

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a democracy can only last until...
 Login/Join

posted
...the majority discovers they can vote themselves funds from the treasury.

I'm paraphrasing. Anybody know what this quote was and who said it?

Posts: 19 | Registered: 12-04-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it. "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years." Alexander Fraser Tytler (1747–1813). Some kind of Scottish academic.

I've got him, and Kershner's First Law: "When a self-governing people confer upon their government the power to take from some and give to others, the process will not stop until the last bone of the last taxpayer is picked bare."

If anybody else knows of any similar quotes, I would be grateful.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 12-04-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
This is attributed to Tytler and is apparently unverified, according to
http://www.bartleby.com/73/424.html

This webpage states
from "The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic" by Alexander Fraser Tytler Lord Woodhouselee (1748-1813) Scottish judge and historian at Edinburgh University
http://www.actionamerica.org/fun/tytler.html

Then we have:

The quote from "Alexander Tyler" is very likely fictitious. His name was actually "Lord Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler," and he was a Scottish historian/professor who wrote several books in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
However, there is no record of The Fall of the Athenian Republic or The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic in the Library of Congress, which has several other titles by Tytler. This quote has also been cited as being from Tytler's Universal History or from his Elements of General History, Ancient and Modern, books that do exist. These books seem the most likely source of the quote, as they contain extensive discussions of the political systems in historic civilizations, including Athens. Universal History was published after, and based upon, Elements of General History, which was a collection of Professor Tytler's lecture notes.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp
quote:
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: 'From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.'"

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." ~ General Norman Schwartzkopf when asked about forgiveness toward those who have harboured and abetted the terrorists of 9/11

Actually, it's more correct to post:
quote:
Well, I think it’s important only because the man on the street in the Middle East, you know, believes that he — a lot of people believe that he is on the right track and that he is some sort of a folk hero and that sort of thing. And I think it’s necessary to bring him down, one way or another. I will confess to you that, you know, one of the statements that’s been attributed to me that I’m sort of proud of is somebody said, you know, "What do we do about Osama bin Laden?" And they asked me, "Can we forgive him?" And I said, "Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." And that’s the way I feel about him, really.
-Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, [reply to the question: [how important is it that we capture Osama bin Laden?" on Meet the Press], February 8, 2003
http://www.quoteland.com/author.asp?AUTHOR_ID=813

[This message was edited by thenostromo on 11-13-07 at 10:32 PM.]

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of triscodeca
posted Hide Post
Also in a previous thread-
http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=586192041&f=099191541&m=5411991352&r=9731918352

-----------
1) Use descriptive subject headers when starting a new topic
2) Search previous threads before posting (and save time!!)

Posts: 2061 | Location: Bangalore, India | Registered: 10-11-99Reply With QuoteReport This Post