Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
 Login/Join

posted
I have searched the internet and have not been able to find the author of this quote using keyworks or the entire quote. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Location: Washington | Registered: 08-31-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
most searchs come up with author unkown but i found this one

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we takebut by the moments that take our breath away. - Hilary Cooper

please dont write in my box

Posts: 540 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 05-08-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
There are many webpages that provide quotes that have been submitted by people, and sometimes their name gets associated with the quote.
quote:
Sunday, May 19th: The results are just in! Tim Hortons raised over $4.5Million from their annual CAMP DAY on May 15th! WOW!!! A big "Thanks" to everyone who dropped by and bought a coffee or two to support this great cause!!! Over 9,000 kids will get a chance to go to camp during the summer.
This week's quote is from Hilary Cooper traveling along the coast of California: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away." If you have an interesting quote or know of one...
http://www.rollingla.ca/ARCHIVES/ARC_2002.htm

I would be very suspicious of anyone claiming credit for this quote. It was used as part of a story about a teacher in this previous post
http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=586192041&f=099191541&m=3021934306&r=6801964306#6801964306

Quoteland search engine results

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help. It seems that the true originator of this quote may not be known, so I will just reflect that when I use it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Washington | Registered: 08-31-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be able to help in this case. The original quote was “Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by every moment that takes your breath away.” It was then changed by the Author to be “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” I have always preferd the former and have quoted it often. I am see it quoted so often it appears in print and in film. Of the quotes origin I am aware that it was first published in the mid 90’s at the Robert Luis Stevenson High School (RLS). A teacher at the lower Middle school requested of the author if the quote could be used. The author consented but requested he remain anonymous. I believe she knows who the author is and the circumstances of its creation. I have suspected, however, that she may have actually written it but there is no evidence of that. I hope this helps.

Posts: 4 | Location: Carmel, CA | Registered: 06-17-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephanie Marrott...(in-case you're still looking!) Ha, only a few years late

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11-29-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
I have in my calendar with inspirational quotes that George Carlin said it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Registered: 01-03-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, bookworm_sub - just received it in an email today 4-6-08 with an attribution to George Carlin.

~ coveyduck

Posts: 1 | Location: Basehor, Kansas, USA | Registered: 04-06-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Carlin may have used it but he did not write it.
The quote was first featured on a Carleton Card in the mid 1970's.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11-23-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Ten_Speed
posted Hide Post
Hi, I saw this written on a Bill-board for the first time at Wal-Mart Warehouse. Ten Rules to Set your Life in place, by gene~ and this was number 1 on the list. That was 12/26/2001.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11-26-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither of the people mentioned above is the author of this quote. The true origin of this quote is discussed here:
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/c/carlin.htm
In short, it says that Moorehead Bob [aka Dr. Moorehead] who said it first.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01-27-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
LL, I believe you are referring to the wrong quote in your post. "Life is not measured..." is not in Moorehead's sermon.

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 19017 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The quote is . "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but moreover by the number of breaths that take your life away" is the CORRECT quote.
The Author wrote this in the mid to late 1970's for Carleton Cards, a Canadian card company. Back in the day, Carleton employed "contractors", were paid a pittance to write a ditty for a greeting card. The author sold it away for under a dollar, copyright included. It has been attributed as anon because Carleton never had a clue that millions would find this quote so important and... the university student who wrote it was just another kid trying to make some dollars.
Today ,the author is well aware of the irony of his words.... thousands of dollars have been made off of this quote. He made a quarter.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11-23-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WikiAnswers has the true answer...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_...ake_your_breath_away

Bottom Line: Anonymous male Canadian writer for Carleton Cards greeting card company in the mid-1970s.

Hilary Cooper only used it, and so did George Carlin.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04-22-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miss Manners, do you have a copy of the card? If not, what's your source? Your version of the quotation seems to have gotten garbled a bit (moreover?), but certainly the explanaton is plausible--only, it needs substantiation. WikiAnswers is not necessarily a reliable source--one of the dangers of the Internet is that often people will post as fact something they have merely heard, with no evidence to back it up.

Posts: 157 | Registered: 02-08-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sexynewyorican2010
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lexy61451:
I have searched the internet and have not been able to find the author of this quote using keyworks or the entire quote. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

hi Lexy i hope this helps:

The author is a Canadian man who wrote the quote on a greeting card for Carleton Cards in the mid 1970's . In return for his quote he was remunerated and signed away the copyright to Carleton Cards.
George Carlin Used it. Hilary Cooper USED it.
Author Unknown

Posts: 1 | Location: orlando, florida | Registered: 10-24-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Attribution is important is some situations. Compensation is important in some contexts. But I think this quote is about our common experience of what can be called moments of deep meaning or emotion. An epiphany. "Unknown", "Anonymous" or the little tracts of folklore here don't do it justice. If I had written it, I would be happy if it were simply attributed to the human spirit. It certainly seems to strike a common chord.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11-15-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very good quote...............
I don't know the author of this quote, nut liked it very much. It's the true fact about the life.
Noone can assure the life how long you will be live.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zendam,

Posts: 3 | Registered: 12-07-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was also used in the movie Hitch as I recall.
My favourite use of this quote though is this:
"Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking." Smile

Posts: 1 | Location: AL | Registered: 12-09-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You all need to do better research.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865) US president, lawyer

Plagiarism is alive and well by those who refuse to check sources. Nothing like using other words to steal the original thought. Remember the phrase..."Ask not what your country can do for you......" how many times was that phrase changed and used for other things?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02-08-11Reply With QuoteReport This Post