Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    Verbing weirds words

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verbing weirds words
 Login/Join

posted
I was startled to find this sentence attributed to Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass. To be on the safe side, I checked my desktop copy. Nope. An internet search gives it to Hobbes of Calvin &. . .which sounds highly probable, but I'm wondering if anyone knows which specific strip? (I don't find it on this site).
Thanks. And. . .I'll probably be combing some collections this evening!

Posts: 157 | Registered: 02-08-07Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
The quotation is "verbing weirds language"...and it's Calvin that says the line...

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, excellent! Thank you, I feel much better now. . .

posted Hide Post
OK, now I have a more difficult one. I'm not really expecting an answer, but I want to make every effort to source this quotation:

" First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing weirds language. Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech nothing because I no verbs."

It is repeatedly attributed to a Peter Ellis, who is alleged to have posted it on alt.fan.pratchett, but I don't see a way to search on that site, and can't find a link using any combination of search terms I've been able to come up with.

Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Use the "search this group" button via Google Groups. It doesn't look like it will get you to the original posting, but it might.
http://groups.google.com/group...ett/topics?hl=en&lnk
I got some hits just using "ellis verbs".... Confused

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You. Are. Amazing. As always!

For some reason, I'm not able to post a direct link to the page. However--there is a March 30, 2000 post by Mr. Ellis in that group, which uses the piece without attribution. Hm. Wonder if I can track down the exact date the original cartoon was published? In any event, I'm reasonably comfortable that the quotation is now sourced. Thanks!