Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    "today europe, tomorrow the world"

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"today europe, tomorrow the world"
 Login/Join

posted
This famous quote is attributed to Adolph Hitler, but where and when did he say it?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 08-31-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
John Colville in The Fringes of Power (2002) states that by September 1939 Hitler had already proclaimed that "Today Germany is ours; tomorrow the whole world," however, an example of Hitler actually saying it has yet to be found. In Mein Kampf (1925), Hitler said: "If the German people, in their historic development, had possessed tribal unity like other nations, the German Reich today would be the master of the entire world."

The phrase actually seems to have come from the chorus of a Hitler youth songbook:

Wir Werden weiter marschieren
Wenn alles in Scherben fält
Denn heute gëhort uns Deutschland
Und morgen die ganze Welt

Rough translation:

We shall keep marching on
Even if everything breaks into fragments,
For today Germany belongs to us
And tomorrow the whole world.

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 20604 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zendam, Thank you for your reply. It is my impression,also, that Hitler may never have said it. Indeed, it may have been a commonly held theme in Nazi Germany, but I think many people are under the impression that he actually said it in a speech. The source you refer to places the statement in quotation marks. It is my impression that many sources do so. My next question is that if Hitler did not actually said it, when and where was this statement first attributed to him? However, that might not be a question for this forum. Thanks again for your help.

Lewis Cason

Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
Lewis,
Welcome to Quoteland.
Good luck on your quest; and if you arrive at an answer, please remember to come back and let us know.
I looked around with whatever tricks I've learned over the years to ferret out this sort of stuff with no success; and it appeared to me that others have tried as well.
quote:
When an opponent declares, “I will not come over to your side,” I calmly say, “Your child belongs to us already.... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community.”
~ Adolf Hitler, November 6, 1933

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Posts: 17434 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thenostromo, Thank you for your comment. A quest like this can be a lot of fun. Of course, the problem is finding time amidst the daily routine. However, I do appreciate your encouragement, and will post here if I come up with something interesting.

Lewis Cason