Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    True true unrelated.

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True true unrelated.
 Login/Join

posted
Nothing on Advanced Search, so hope haven't asked before.

Google has several references but nothing about who said it?

Please,

Michael

Posts: 1195 | Location: Overland Park, Ks USA | Registered: 01-12-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
It is always helpful if you provide the context within which you heard or have read something.

"when there is no connection, just coincidence"

You have stumbled upon an expression that deals with the medical concept of coincidence. The expression seems to have bled over into other contexts as well. The expression is most commonly said as "True, true and unrelated". Some examples:
quote:
Good old-fashioned coincidence does indeed still occur, and in most situations it is the most likely explanation. In medical parlance, that circumstance is referred to as ''true, true and unrelated.''
~ Dr. Kent A. Sepkowitz, director of hospital infection control at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Another irony of this problem is that patients (and their lawyers) are all too quick to blame medications for problems without considering the possibility that coincidences do occur and things can be - as we say in the medical profession - "true, true, and unrelated."
~ from an Internet posting by Chris Rangel at
http://www.rangelmd.com/2003/11/zyprexa-and-diabetes.html
quote:
"True, true and unrelated. That seems to fit the proposed autism-vaccine link when one examines the data. Yes, reported rates of autism have increased since the late 1980s and yes, that was when thimerosal first appeared in childhood vaccinations. But there are no reliable data to prove a cause-and-effect relationship. This was masterfully supported by Michael Fumento in his June 24 commentary 'Immune to Reason' (Taste page, Weekend Journal) and in his July 14 Letter to the Editor 'There Is No Thimerosal-Autism Conspiracy,' both of which refute claims that thimerosal, a mercury-based derivative, causes autism. I would agree with Mr. Fumento that to link the two as cause-and-effect indicates a lack of understanding of science. Meanwhile, the lay public hears the message that vaccines might be causing brain damage."
~ Dr. Monica Martin Globe, M.D.

There might be a source for this concept, but I was unable to find it.

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful Jon,

Sorry I had forgotten a Doctor I know said this.

It's very educational, it tells me I often can have a negative attitude and blame or mirror and project it as caused by others and not take responsibilty and worse make them the target.

Hence a serious loss of perspective when life is good in general so, True, true and unrelated applies. A part of being human.

Thanks for your efforts and tolerance,

Michael

Posts: 1195 | Location: Overland Park, Ks USA | Registered: 01-12-02Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This excellent find by Jon some time ago, reminds me of the Aurora Massacre.

James Holmes killed 12 people wounded 58 others.

My point is "True true related." 27 humans get shot and killed on average everyday in the U S A and probably triple that wounded by guns and rifles.

What happened isn't an aberration or deviation for what happens every day in our country as most politicians would have us believe, it just happens one and two at a time, but it still happpens everyday and has for years.

Our congressman get paid not to pass laws to stop this by gun manufacturors. We elect them, how come we continue to allow our self to be in harms way by elected congressmen?

Sincerely
Michael