Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    "and when he gets to heaven,to saint peter he will tell:

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"and when he gets to heaven,to saint peter he will tell:
 Login/Join

posted
"and when he gets to heaven,
to saint peter he will tell:
"Just another soldier reporting, sir
I've served my time in hell."

???

i know i've seen this several times, reused by many ppl.

thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08-21-04Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
"And when he goes to heaven/
To Saint Peter he will tell:/
Another Marine reporting, sir;/
I've served my time in hell!"

The attribtuion is unknown but it was an epitaph for a certain PFC Cameron, who died at Guadalcanal, 1942.

Friends, books, a cheerful heart, and conscience clear
Are the most choice companions we have here.~William Mather

Posts: 19036 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe Hal Popplewell; USMC 1971 - 1979, is the Author of this quote, and it is the last verse of a longer poem :

You can have your army Kakhis,
And your navy blues,
Here's a different sort of fighting man,
I'll introduce to you.

His uniform is unlike
Any you've ever seen;
And the Germans called him Devil Dog,
But his real name is Marine!

He was born on Parris Island (San Diego or the Hills of Quantico)
The land that God forgot.
The sand was 14 inches deep,
the sun was blazing hot.

He'd get up every morning,
Way before the sun,
And he'd run a hundred miles or more,
Before the day was done.

He fought in the cold of Korea,
In the heat of Viet Nam.
When ever our country goes to war,
The Marines are first to land.

We'll fight them on the ground,
We'll fight them in the sky,
When the Army and Navy are heading home,
The Marines are standing by.

And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell,
"Another Marine reporting, Sir,
I've served my time in Hell!"

I hope this is useful to you :-)

Posts: 1 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 01-16-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If only there were a book that gave reliable sources for all famous quotations... Wait! There is one! The recently published Yale Book of Quotations has the following:

When the final taps is sounded and we lay aside life's cares,
And we do the last and gloried parade on heaven's shining stairs,
And the angels bid us welcome and the harps begin to play
We can draw a million canteen checks and spend them in a day.
It is then we'll hear St. Peter tell us loudly with a yell,
"Take a front seat, you soldier men, you've done your hitch in Hell."

Frank B. Camp, "Our Hitch in Hell" (1917). A better known later variant is: "When he gets to Heaven, / To St. Peter he will tell, / One more Marine reporting, Sir, / I've served my time in Hell."

Posts: 50 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: 01-03-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was written by my father while serving on Guadalcanal with the First Marine Division, H Company, Second Battalion, First Regiment, in WWII. Bill Cameron was his best friend and was killed by bombs dropped from Japanese planes. He wrote it as an epitaph for Bill's grave.

Since he wrote this in 1942 it is doubtful that Hal Popplewell wrote it. Especially since Popplewell mentions Korea and Vietnam in his poem. He may have written the poem but the last verse belongs to my dad.

There is a book of war quotes....and I believe it is titled "The Dictionary of War Quotations" (I might be mistaken about the title...I have the book at home but I am not at home). In the book it does credit the quote as appearing first as an epitaph on Pfc. Bill Cameron's grave on Guadalcanal.

Regards,
Jim
guadalcanaljournal.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02-20-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mean in any way to detract from the service and heroism of Jim's dad fighting on Guadalcanal (my own father won the Bronze Star in the Battle of the Bulge), but it is very unlikely that he wrote this poem or even just the last paragraph. In what month do you think he wrote it?

Fred Shapiro
Editor
Yale Book of Quotations

Posts: 50 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: 01-03-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my grandfather did a veriation of that poem in WWII our family thought he wrote it but it looks like he only changed some of the words he was also in the ccc camps and i've seen other veriations of it with the ccc as well.he named it a hitch in hell

Posts: 1 | Location: Du Bois, Pa, USA | Registered: 03-06-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To set all you Strait, this Poem was written in WW1 and was about Soldiers not Marines...

Get you facts strait...........

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11-30-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The origonal is a long poem like the above copy and is ABOUT SOLDIERS NOT MARINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11-30-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, to be totally frank, they all went through hell, so, to be honest, it may not have just one writer. Sure, someone wrote it first, but each version reflects their experiences.

You ever think that they're all original, but say the same thing?

Just a thought.

One vision, One purpose. The Technology of Peace! Peace Through Power!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12-16-09Reply With QuoteReport This Post