Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    "The measure of civilization/society is how they treat their weakest members"

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The measure of civilization/society is how they treat their weakest members"
 Login/Join

posted
PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP! I HAVE A PAPER DUE TOMORROW

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04-23-06Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Humbert Humphrey but it's just a guess!

Posts: 62 | Registered: 11-05-04Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Fanatic
Picture of Flametree
posted Hide Post
This quote is attributed to several people
See here for more;
http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=586192041&f=099191541&m=2481975851&r=9451966851#9451966851

Here are a few in a simial vein that are attributed;

Let all bear in mind that a society is judged not so much by the standards attained by its more affluent and privileged members as by the quality of life which it is able to assure for its weakest members.
~H.E. Javier Perez de Cuellar

The moral test of a government is how it treats those who are at the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick and the needy, and the handicapped.
~Hubert Humphrey

Since the house is on fire let us warm ourselves. ~Italian Proverb

Posts: 3379 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05-25-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Demigod
Picture of Ananya
posted Hide Post
The one by Gandhi has not been fully quoted in Thenostromo's post. It is as following:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

*~Come play with my Smile children Smile feel the peace and Scatter some joy.~*
~*Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make your's burn any brighter.*~
We can't all be stars, but we can all twinkle.

Posts: 6238 | Location: India | Registered: 07-03-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
chelkey3, welcome to Quoteland.
Good to see you checking in, Ananya.
Gandhi quotations can sometimes be hard to sort out.
Here's some more with citations:
quote:
I hold today the same opinion as I held then. To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
- An Autobiography, the Story of My Experiments

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Vivisection is the blackest of all the black crimes that a man is at present committing against God and his fair creation. It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we in turn will not practise elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures.
- The Moral Basis of Vegetarianism

I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.
- quoted in Words of Gandhi

I do not regard flesh-food as necessary for us at any stage and under any clime in which it is possible for human beings ordinarily to live. I hold flesh-food to be unsuited to our species. We err in copying the lower animal world - if we are superior to it.
- Mahatma Gandhi, his Mission and Message

I abhor vivisection with my whole soul. All the scientific discoveries stained with innocent blood I count as of no consequence.
- unknown origin
http://www.ivu.org/history/gandhi/

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post