Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    How quiet the forest would be, if only the best birds could sing

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How quiet the forest would be, if only the best birds could sing
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know the origin of this one? Thanks in advance

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01-04-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
I guess you can chalk up this adage to "unknown."

Everyone is in the best seat!~John Cage

Posts: 18929 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MarineMac
posted Hide Post
While this quote is probably a well known adage, Henry Van Dyke is quoted as saying: "Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best."
Kind of similar.
Hope it helped!

"To die, to sleep;
To sleep; perchance to dream."

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01-04-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am looking for the rest of this poem! I know it is Harry Wong's "The 100 first days of School". it also says, "If only the best athlestes dared compete, how weak our country would be." i am looking for the whole poem. If you find it, let me know. Thanks! Wink

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02-10-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Titan
Picture of doon1946
posted Hide Post
I know it's from Zoltán Kodály.

“If only the best birds would sing, it would be a mighty quiet forest.”
~Kodaly (?)
Zoltán Kodály (born Kecskemét, 16 December 1882; died Budapest, 6 March 1967)
20th Century European composers, a pairing of Zoltán Kodály and Béla Bartók. They were the undisputed champions of ethno-inspired early 20th-century classical music, dipping their quills deeply into the folk music of their native Hungary and translating its tantalizing rhythms and melodies into music of enormous originality and colour. Two popular and frequently recorded works like Kodaly's "Dances From Galanta" and Bartok's "Music for Strings" are excellent example and so many other short works by Bartók and Kodály.

http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/kodaly.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity of mind, good-heartedness, purity of nature, self-control—this is called mental austerity. ~Gitopanishad.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Land of Lincoln, USA | Registered: 01-29-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Do you have the reference/citation to Zoltán Kodály?

Everyone is in the best seat!~John Cage

[This message was edited by Zendam on 02-11-05 at 12:41 AM.]

Posts: 18929 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post