Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    "Dance like nobody's watching" quote

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dance like nobody's watching" quote
 Login/Join

<shayla>
posted
HELP ME!!!

that's about all i can remember of this quote..and i would SOOOOO appreciate it if someone can supply the rest..

all i can really remember is "Dance like no body's watching. Love like you've never been hurt." but i KNOW there's more to it...

pretty please..HELP!!! smile

Brightest of Blessings!

eternally,
~shayla

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emeraldcitizen
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1739 | Location: scotland | Registered: 10-19-99Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Jeanne23>
posted
It's some thing like: "work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody's watching" Do you know who said this? That's what I need to know.

jeannelle

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best I can tell, the original was....
"Live like there's no tomorrow,
Love like you've never been hurt, and
Dance like no one is watching."
-- Lindsay Kolb

Posts: 3 | Location: tennessee, usa | Registered: 05-19-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also seen the quote attributed to Satchel Paige in a couple of places:

http://www.quotationreference.com/
http://www.usewisdom.com/sayings/

Posts: 7 | Registered: 04-27-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Quoteland Potentate
Picture of thenostromo
posted Hide Post
The post is at
http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=586192041&f=785191641&m=8361979722

I contacted Mr. Purkey asking him (here is the beginning of my message to him):
Are you the author of a quote that goes something like:
"Dance like no one is watching,
Work like you don't need the money..."

and this is his reply:

Dear John,

Thanks for your note regarding the quote. It is
obvious that the theme has worked its way through many minds.
I certainly want to give credit to those who have tinkered with this beautiful concept.
My version follows. I am sure that most of the words are mine.
"You've gotta' dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."
(And speak from the heart to be heard.)
Hope this helps.
Best wishes,

William W. Purkey
Wed 6/13/01 8:31 AM

[This message was edited by thenostromo on 06-29-01 at 11:04 AM.]

Posts: 17415 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 06-07-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked up the Ann Wells 1985 article in the L.A. Times. Although the article is about the same general idea, nothing like the quotation is expressed there.

Posts: 50 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: 01-03-03Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The full quote is "Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's heaven on earth." and it is a Mark Twain quote

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03-10-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
I have never seen this attributed to Mark Twain. If you have a specific reference to one of his works, please post it. Chances are it has been misattributed to him on the Net.

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 18686 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Shayla,

This quote is from the movie "Terms of endearment" and was spoken by Shirley Mclaine's character Aurora Greenway. If you google the name you can find other Aurora quotes. The exact wording is:
"Work like you don't need the money, love like your heart has never been broken and dance like no one is watching".

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06-10-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. by Mark Twain

Posts: 1 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 10-17-08Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is so funny, i was just asking everyone about this about a month ago. you have filled in my blanks so let me help you fill in yours. i have seen a few versions of this but here goes my favorite so far.

"dance like no one is watching, sing like no one is listening, and love like you've never been hurt"

hope you like it as much as i do, im sure someone can give more so you can take your pick.

God Bless

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02-13-09Reply With QuoteReport This Post