Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    "To understand a man, you must understand...

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"To understand a man, you must understand...
 Login/Join

posted
...the world when he was twenty."

I saw it attributed to Napoleon, but cannot find any more specific citation.

Thanks.

Posts: 87 | Registered: 12-27-01Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it is a shortened variation of Napoleon's feelings here:

"The happiest days of my life were from sixteen to twenty, during the semestres, when I used to go about, as I have told you I should wish to do, from one restaurateur to another, living moderately, and having a lodging for which I paid three louis a month. They were the happiest days of my life. I was always so much occupied, that I may say I never was truly happy upon the throne."~Barry Edward O'Meara (1786-1836), in Napoleon in Exile : or, A Voice from St. Helena (1822), Vol. II, p. 155

O'Meara, an Irish surgeon, accompanied Napoleon to St. Helena and became his physician

It reminds me of an old Jesuit maxim: Give me the child until he is 7 and I will show you the man. Often attributed to Balthasar Gracian (1601-1658) a Spanish Jesuit scholar

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 20501 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post