Quoteland.com Logo Home Topics Resources Groups
FAQs Site Info Contact Us About the Authors

Quoteland.com    Quoteland.com User Groups    Quoteland.com User Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Who Said It?    who said "today is the first day of the rest of your life"??

Moderators: Zendam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

who said "today is the first day of the rest of your life"??
 Login/Join

posted
thx in advance for any insight...

Posts: 14 | Registered: 09-15-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quoteland Godfather
Picture of Zendam
posted Hide Post
Check here.

It is usually associated with Dederich's drug rehab group Synanon.

The actual opriginator is not known, but you can attribute it as early 60's street wisdom.

Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our one duty is to furnish it well~Peter Ustinov

Posts: 20455 | Location: CT | Registered: 08-30-00Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks!

Posts: 14 | Registered: 09-15-05Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sam in NM
posted Hide Post
This very popular blast from the past did culminated from the 60's movement. It has much basis in spirituality, recovery, forgiveness, and self-improvement. I was a senior in Junior High when I first saw this string of words (1970). I had a poster of these words on my wall in my room, right next to the Smiley Face poster.

Posts: 2 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 09-24-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sam in NM
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah...this was inded Charles Dederich's quote.

Posts: 2 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 09-24-10Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea that a quote expresses can dissolve the question of "who" into the ether of its emergent fame—or infamy, as Dederich was a pathetic figure.

As a reformed alcoholic, when he began Synonon, 1957, the idea of being born again would likely have come from Alcoholics Anonymous, founded in 1935; and of course the idea of being born again is integral to psychotherapy, but also artistic calling; and—you knew it—the ethos of Jesus.

But at heart, the idea is deeply philosophical. Existentialism was implicitly premised on one's allegedly intrinsic freedom to initiate one's futurity. Heidegger made famous, within professional philosophy, the dynamic of lived time as primordially futural. This is a theme I want to pursue later this week (via my website). The life well lived—being well—regards its futurity as prevailing over its past. The couch potato can avoid much-earlier death today.

But I'm enchanted by the title of a famous counter-cultural book of the 1960s, by Richard Fariña: Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me.

Posts: 1 | Location: Berkeley | Registered: 03-07-16Reply With QuoteReport This Post